SASS Wire Forum

MEC Bushing Chart for Black Powder

Skullbone Willie

Does anyone have a MEC Bushing Chart for BP ? I have a MEC 600 JR that I will be using to load my BP Shotgun Shells. I have FFFg, fiber wads, nitro cards and over shot cards. Doing a Roll Crimp with 7/8oz shot. I plan to start around 40 gr of Schuetzen fffg, anyone have a starting place on the bushing I will need ? Thanks, Skullbone 

1 cc of 3f is roughly 15-16 grains.  Google Mec Bushing chart in CCs and figure it out.  In your case 40/15 2.66 is a bit more than a 32 2.625 but less than a 33 2.707  either one will work and not blow anything up.  Truth be told if you used a 2.5 cc Lee dipper you prolly would not notice the difference

I created this chart a few years back.  I weighed the charges dropped from (4) different bushings (the data points shown with triangles show the charges that I weighed for those bushings) then extrapolated the line through those points.  It should be close enough for government work for the bushing sizes shown at the bottom.

MEC bushing data BP capacity.jpg

MEC bushing data BP capacity.pdf

As a side note, you can order 3D printed MEC bushings on eBay. Way cheaper than the aluminum ones and they work fine. 

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

As a side note, you can order 3D printed MEC bushings on eBay. Way cheaper than the aluminum ones and they work fine. 

I ordered a set of those. Had a little static problem with powder sticking until I put them all in a ziplock bag with some powdered graphite and shook. Now all is good.

Depending on the brand :of powder and granulation, somewhere between a 36 & 37A should put you around the 40 grain mark.  

On 11/15/2023 at 10:26 AM, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

I created this chart a few years back.  I weighed the charges dropped from (4) different bushings (the data points shown with triangles show the charges that I weighed for those bushings) then extrapolated the line through those points.  It should be close enough for government work for the bushing sizes shown at the bottom.

MEC bushing data BP capacity.jpg

MEC bushing data BP capacity.pdf 46.28 kB · 9 downloads

Your chart is just about right, I got my hands on a 38a and it’s dropping 48gr of fffg. 

Archived