SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a good 1866 gunsmith

Rancho Roy

I have an older 1866 that I bought off a SASS member a number of years ago. It is an older generation version. It is also driving me crazy! This isn't my first gunsmithing rodeo, but for the life of me I can't stop this rifle from misfiring every now and then. 

It's time to send it out to someone with more experience in 1866.

Suggestions for a good 1866 smith?

Howdy Rancho,

Can't help with a gunsmith recommendation. Do you have a lightened mainspring? Also is there any crud restricting the firing pin? Since there is no trigger interlock, is it possible that you are pulling the trigger before the gun is fully in battery? The hammer might be following the bolt down. 

That's all I know about what I understand about what I know about that. Good luck.

Rev. Chase

3 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

I have an older 1866 that I bought off a SASS member a number of years ago. It is an older generation version. It is also driving me crazy! This isn't my first gunsmithing rodeo, but for the life of me I can't stop this rifle from misfiring every now and then. 

It's time to send it out to someone with more experience in 1866.

Suggestions for a good 1866 smith?

Just how old is it?  The very early Navy Arms 1866's had a safety like the 1873 where the lever had to be all the way closed for the gun to fire.  That might be something to check.  On the misfires is the primer seated too deep?  There should be something all of the misfires have in common and knowing that will probably lead to figuring out what needs to be adjusted or fixed.

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Just how old is it?  The very early Navy Arms 1866's had a safety like the 1873 where the lever had to be all the way closed for the gun to fire.  That might be something to check.  On the misfires is the primer seated too deep?  There should be something all of the misfires have in common and knowing that will probably lead to figuring out what needs to be adjusted or fixed.

No trigger safety.....It's all about the bolt, firing pin and firing pin extension.....I've polished everything and at times it sticks. I removed the firing pin spring just to see if that would solve it, no joy. If I crank the hammer spring up to max, it will consistently fire, but then it has a lever throw from hell! I ordered a .015" over length firing pin from PGW to see if that makes a difference. It does seem like the firing pin does not have as much protrusion as my other 1866 rifles. Hard to measure. We shall see....

Snake Oil George. Lives near Tulsa OK. 

He is currently rebuilding mine. Mods include oversized firing pin extension to correct frame wear, hardened hammer insert, one piece firing pin, new links, addition of main spring adjustment screw, and adjustable trigger pull. 

PM me for his contact info. 

If the firing pin extension wobbles when it is extended backwards (action open), then the frame opening for the FPE can be worn and even egg-shaped.  MANY shooters never lube their FPE and over the years, the fairly soft Uberti frames wear from the travel of the FPE.

To test, open action.   Push up on the tail of the FPE.  If it moves more than about 1/8", it's worn and looser than normal.  The FPE then sometimes binds as the hammer hits it, and looses a lot of energy, thus a very light hit on primer.  Fix is kinda tricky,m but I've heard of some smith's that install a sleeve in the frame to tighten things back up.

Also check that the junction between the FPE and the firing pin is snug, not worn to point of being sloppy.

good luck, GJ

4 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Fix is kinda tricky,m but I've heard of some smith's that install a sleeve in the frame to tighten things back up.

Also check that the junction between the FPE and the firing pin is snug, not worn to point of being sloppy.

Mine is getting a .010” oversized firing pin extension. 

David Chicoine's BOOK on Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West is what I use a lot.   Haven't seen a good video.   Most of the 66 work will be the same as the 73. 

good luck, GJ

I have found, in general, that flushing out the firing pin channel with Gunscrubber goes a long way, generically, to prevent failures to fire.   Especially if you've got a caliber like .45 Colt.   .44-40 seems to not have that problem.

More specifically, I have an early Navy Arms 66, the one that has the 73 style lever safety.   Previous owner(s) had removed it, and lightened the hammer spring so much you could see the hammer falling more slowly than on my Henry.  I took the gun to Happy Trails, who is retired, and asked him to more or less return the gun to "factory specs."  Or at least as close to it as practical.  It's probably slicker and smoother than an untouched gun, but it's not "over tweaked" anymore.  

All of that adds up to what others have mentioned, maybe your hammer spring is too light.  That's something I'd check.

Ah, Rancho, I just noticed that you are "south of Boston."

I will recommend Sergey at Rustblue Gunsmithing.   He's in Natick, and does good work.  He's done some things for me over the years, and I have always been pleased with the results.   For example, I have an antique Colt 1860 that was pretty messed up.   He got it working like new, and had to fabricate some of the needed parts.   And, it was not stupid expensive.

https://www.rustbluing.com/

That's his website.  I give you my strongest recommendation for him.  

Good luck.

I have a older Navy Arms 66 in 44/40 , With trigger lever safety .

Someone years ago set the barrel back and converted it to shoot 44 special , Long before Uberti made any in 44 special .

The trigger lever safety system like the 73 has helps with out of battery discharges .

With stock springs in it she runs like a dream.

With lightened hammer spring she will miss fire once in a wile .

Just sayin .

Rooster 

Well, I think I fixed it. Not sure why, but I installed a .015 longer firing pin from PGW and it seems to be working fine now......I measured the old firing pin and it measured exactly like this supposed longer one???? No idea why, but it's going BANG every time now!

Good to go for now!

Archived