SASS Wire Forum

To Split.. or Not To Split

bgavin

Is it preferable to split 5# and 8# jugs of powder into separate 1# bottles for long-term safe keeping.
Or... fill a single 1# bottle and leave the big jug capped?

My neighbor and I each bought an 8# jug.

He got H4895 and I got IMR 4227,

I bought several 16 oz Walmart hydrogen peroxide brown bottles, cleaned and dried, then loaded with powder.
The plastic appears to be the same used by current production 1# powder bottles.

My thinking is, a full bottle has less air contamination for long term storage.

I've only been reloading for 50 years, so I can't really address "Long Term" ^_^   However, I have kept powder for 10 - 15 years at a whack and have never encountered any noticeable loss of performance.  The key is to keep the container well sealed against moisture and to store the propellant in a more or less stable environment.

Some years ago, there was a release of military surplus rifle powder (4895??) that had ben in storage for 40+ years without any degradation.  Black Powder, store in excess of 100 years was found to perform "as advertised."

Howdy Bgavin.

I can relate my experience with H110 from a few years back.

Although unintended, I had some 30 year old .44 mag loads using H110.........AND, I had a 30 years old

bottle of H110 that I used in those reloads.  I used some of that 30 year old powder to reload some 

new loads (new loads with 30 year old powder).

Well, being curious like I am, I went out and bought a NEW bottle of H110 and reloaded some fresh .44 mag

loads with the new powder.

Using my chronograph, guess what I discovered:    No difference in performance from any of those loads.

The 30 year old reloads, the reloads with 30 year old powder, and the reloads with the new powder all

performed as expected, giving good magnum performance.

As for powder storage, I have taken my 8# jugs of various powders and would pour it in a 1# plastic

container to use......and keep the remaining powder in the 8# size jug for later usage.

Just make sure its sealed good and kept in a normal, room temperature storage.

You can follow manufacturers information to help determine if your powder starts to deteriorate, such as

turning a grayish color on some powder and having a strong acidic smell, etc.......

Hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

Doing just fine, thanks!
I definitely want to pour into a single 1# bottle as the working supply.
If I have to pour anything back from the measure, it's best to keep the big supply pure, and only work in the 1# jug.

I ain't gonna live another 30 years, so that part becomes a non-problem for me.
We are heading to NV next week for hiking.
NV is open carry, so I'm hauling my Alaskan in a nice Kenai chest holster on those hikes.

I took a 20 year break between shooting a lot and retirement when I took up Cowboy Action Shooting.   Cleaned up my reloading bench,  squinted some oil on the Dillon 450, and started loading 45 Colt with the Unique that was in powder measure.  I used up what was in the old paper 8lb jug and found I had an unopened paper 8lb can of Unique that had to have been 20+ years old.  It all performed as it should.  

I called Hodgdon and Alliant a couple of years ago regarding powder storage and possible degradation over time. I was told to leave the powder in its original carton and store it in a cool dry place and it will last decades. 

I have always only filled a 1 pound container from the larger for working with the loaders and left the rest in the original large container.

im still reloading successfully with powder i started this game with 20+ years ago , its in plastic and i store properly , do what you want but it keeps if you protect it not like the old cardboard kegs we once saw [i still have one] that were prone to moisture absorption , some things are easier stored in smaller containers others in large , do what works best for you , i rather like the 8lb kegs in my storage area 

Archived