SASS Wire Forum

Yesterdays Project - 10G BP

Rancho Roy

27 minutes ago, Presidio said:

Been doing 12ga roll crimps myself for a while now.  Kinda self satisfying.

Them 10ga are gonna be sweet!

What's gonna be your stack mix?

No sure on load yet. Any ideas on a 2.75" load?

I was given an 1883 REAL Colt Coach Gun receiver a while ago. I had a stock maker in Maine, make me some wood for it. I've been shooting 12G shells with Chamber inserts. But I wanted to do 10G shells and BP for quite a while now. A friend gave me a bunch of 10G shells so here we go!

P1040140.JPG

P1040141.JPG

P1040142.JPG

P1040143.JPG

P1040144.JPG

P1040145.JPG

P1040146.JPG

P1040147.JPG

Real nice shotgun.  Did you do your own wood work on it?

My average 12ga load is 40cc of fffg, a 7/8" fiber wad, the 12ga plastic wad cup with the base cut off, the rest is filled to about an 1/8" of the edge with #7 lead shot.  Top it off with a overshot card and roll crimp.

Note.  I trim off the original crimp folds from the shell before reloading.

Since you been doing 12ga loads already, might start with that, and work your test loads up or down to your pleasing.

Interesting video on this 1883... $300 in 1880s! Today that would be $3500 today!   Only 7400 were made, and VERY few for the stage coach lines as Coach Guns.... 

26 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

No sure on load yet. Any ideas on a 2.75" load?

I was given an 1883 REAL Colt Coach Gun receiver a while ago. I had a stock maker in Maine, make me some wood for it. I've been shooting 12G shells with Chamber inserts. But I wanted to do 10G shells and BP for quite a while now. A friend gave me a bunch of 10G shells so here we go!

I'm using 120 grs of 1F or 2F and 1 1/2 oz of shot, but that's in a modern Spanish double that weighs about 12 1/2 pounds.  Recoil is a big shove.

In my older 10 gauges it's 60 grs of 1F or 2F and 1 1/2 oz of shot.  With Remington hulls I was getting 4 or 5 loads per hull before they became unusable.  Federal hulls didn't last that long.  I use fiber wads for both loads.

Rocky Mountain brass hulls will last almost forever, but aren't cheap.  An alternative is to go to gun shows and look for people selling the older "antique" brass hulls.  Most can be reloaded using large pistol primers, but make sure to examine the flash hole on the inside of the hull.  I ended up with a couple that wouldn't accept 209 shotgun primers or large pistol primers.  You'll also need to use 9 gauge fiber wads and cards for the "antique"  hulls.

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I'm using 120 grs of 1F or 2F and 1 1/2 oz of shot, but that's in a modern Spanish double that weighs about 12 1/2 pounds.  Recoil is a big shove.

In my older 10 gauges it's 60 grs of 1F or 2F and 1 1/2 oz of shot.  With Remington hulls I was getting 4 or 5 loads per hull before they became unusable.  Federal hulls didn't last that long.  I use fiber wads for both loads.

Rocky Mountain brass hulls will last almost forever, but aren't cheap.  An alternative is to go to gun shows and look for people selling the older "antique" brass hulls.  Most can be reloaded using large pistol primers, but make sure to examine the flash hole on the inside of the hull.  I ended up with a couple that wouldn't accept 209 shotgun primers or large pistol primers.  You'll also need to use 9 gauge fiber wads and cards for the "antique"  hulls.

I've only used the Magtech brass with large Pistol Primer.  Same load, only I use beeswax to seal the overshot card in.

Betting the mosquitoes really hate being in the same county with you !:D

I have and used an original Winchester 1901 made in 1906, which is basically a 10 gauge version of the model 1887.  My load is 60 grains of 2FFG over powder card, fiber wad(s) and 1 ½ oz of shot.  It’s a nice load with plenty of boom and won’t knock you over.   You can get plastic hulls here BPI both primed and unprimed.  I’ve used the primed hulls with good results, but I’m a “one and done” guy with them. 

Is your hull trimmer homemade?  It looks like a good design. 

Real nice shotgun.  Did you do your own wood work on it?

No, I don't do wood...Don't have the patience! This stockmaker was recommended to me. So I drove up to Maine and dropped off the shotgun and the Macon rough cut walnut stock I'd bought for him to finish. He showed me some beautiful work. But he was now in his late 80s and that "Beautiful" work was done a couple decades ago. Unfortunately, I think the years have got to him. I had to do a whole bunch of chiseling, sanding and filing to get it to fit and for the SG to function. It's a shooter so it is what it is! 

I've had a colt 1883 since I was a kid.Belonged to my dad.

Do you still have it? 12g or 10g? Would love to see a picture or two....

4 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

This can get EXPENSIVE!    :o

I get about 55-57 shells per pound of powder.   I usually just shoot it at state level or above matches.  

4 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

This can get EXPENSIVE!    :o

Yeah...that can be;)

But, for CAS, I figure you can cut that load down to 40 and still knock 'em down pretty easily.  Should still have plenty of brimstone coming out the business ends.

Hunting loads <_< different story.

Just now, Presidio said:

Yup.  Saw a set on eBay recently.  Been giving them some consideration.

There are a whole bunch of them available for short $$ on ETSY......See my link above.

A short video on my Colt 10 gauge.  I did some repairs.  The barrels don't match the gun.  I had to do some fitting. The wood has obviously been replaced but is very well done.  It's a higher grade with engraving.   I shot it in one match held on New Year's day.

Almost forgotI also have a 87 in 10ga.May have to get some shells & try it out.

Largo

Archived