SASS Wire Forum

Rimfire challenge

Rye Miles #13621

Lots of fun yesterday at our Rimfire Challenge . I shot 5 different .22's in different categories. Almost as much fun as a cowboy shoot!

1.Smith 617 open sights

2.Marlin model 60 open sights

3.Ruger 10/22 with a red dot

4.Henry lever .22

5.Heritage .22 single actions

I like .22 a lot, also.

Question:  how did you get a fix sited 617 and Marlin model 60.   Both of mine have adjustable sights

as standard from the factory.   Just curious.

..........Widder

44 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I like .22 a lot, also.

Question:  how did you get a fix sited 617 and Marlin model 60.   Both of mine have adjustable sights

as standard from the factory.   Just curious.

..........Widder

Oh sorry I meant open sights! So no red dot or scope etc. They're adjustable!:blush: I fixed it!

I'm scheduled to help with the Rimfire Challenge here in North Alabama in October.  I'll shoot my 10/22 and a Colt Gold Cup with a 22 conversion kit on it, both in the limited category (iron sights, no compensators).  

The last match I attended was in the covid time and supplies shortages.
I was allowed to shoot 22LR instead of center fire, because I could not replenish my centerfire supplies.
It was either 22LR or stay home.

My home club does a modified Rim fire Challenge match. We use our regular cowboy targets and make up the stages as we go. We shoot 5 passes at each of the 4 stages throwing out the worst time. Categories are Rifle or Pistol Iron Sights or optics (red dot or if the shooter chooses a scope.)

We typically shoot one stage close using only the pistol targets. 2 stages using rifle and pistol targets and one stage far with only the rifle targets.  

Its a lot of fun and is a great way to make a little extra money for the club and the land owner.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My home club does a modified Rim fire Challenge match. We use our regular cowboy targets and make up the stages as we go. We shoot 5 passes at each of the 4 stages throwing out the worst time. Categories are Rifle or Pistol Iron Sights or optics (red dot or if the shooter chooses a scope.)

We typically shoot one stage close using only the pistol targets. 2 stages using rifle and pistol targets and one stage far with only the rifle targets.  

Its a lot of fun and is a great way to make a little extra money for the club and the land owner.

Did you know there’s actually a governing body setting the rules for Rimfire Challenge? We don’t abide by every rule but we try and stay close.

They recently got rid of the Cowboy category but we still do it.

https://www.rimfirechallenge.org/

We used to have a "Rimfire Ruckus" before the match at Brooksville. We would just use a stage that was already set up for Cowboy and make up the stages as we went.

We used 1 - .22 single action pistol loaded with 5 rnds, 1 - .22 lever or pump action rifle loaded with 10 rnds (sometimes 9) and a single barrel shotgun (ejector allowed) for 4 to 6 rnds. I used a Ruger Single Six, a Taurus Model 62 (Won it at a match) and a HR 12 ga single barrel. Although the rifle was a Taurus, I never had any problem with it and it would "slam fire" just as fast as you could pump it.

I really liked the .22 side match and tried to start it at other clubs but there just wasn't enough interest to make it worth messing with.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did you know there’s actually a governing body setting the rules for Rimfire Challenge? We don’t abide by every rule but we try and stay close.

They recently got rid of the Cowboy category but we still do it.

https://www.rimfirechallenge.org/

I did.  There is a large public shooting range not far from my home club that holds a monthly shoot. That's where we got the idea from.

It is quite the family affair. People bring lawn chairs and make a day out of it.  It is quite impressive to watch the kids shoot stages at blazing fast speeds.

Archived