SASS Wire Forum

quesadillas

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

BTW, does anyone else wonder whatever happened to Express Lanes in grocery stores?

Still have 'em here.  But I suspect a lot have been eliminated in favor of self checkout.

I like to mix cheese in quesadillas. 

- Mild Cheddar and Havarti

- Queso and Strong Cheddar

- Tillamook Mexican 4 blend shredded cheese

- Cheddar and Mozzarella. 

- Deli American (not that wrapped stuff) and Havarti

Pre shredded cheese, even the good stuff like Tillamook is stabilized.   Shredding your own is best.  Frying the tortilla in butter is a big plus.  Avocado, tomato, chorizo, peppers and the cheeses of choice.  Though it is trickier than folding, one whole tortilla on top of the other seems better.  You have to flip the skillet with a plate on top, then slide the quesadilla back into the pan to cook the other side.  Sour cream, chopped green onions, salsa if you like and a little more cheese grated on top.  A nice, light dinner maybe with some taco chips.

I like to finely chop grilled chicken and some good chorizo and spread it around on the bottom tortilla. I’ll slice some really sharp cheddar and shred some pepper jack, break up some good deli American cheese and maybe a little carne-asada steak strips.

I’ll lay a second tortilla on top and brush on some spicy garlic butter. I place it into the oven on a heavy cookie sheet or a big cast iron griddle.  Let it bake for about nine minutes at around 395 degrees and then slide it back out.  I flip the whole thing over and brush on some more of the garlic butter, sprinkle it generously with shredded Romano and then back into the oven for another eight or nine minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t scorch.

Pull it out and let it cool for a couple of minutes and then slice it with the pizza slicer and serve with spicy salsa and/or tomatillo sauce.

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I like to finely chop grilled chicken and some good chorizo and spread it around on the bottom tortilla. I’ll slice some really sharp cheddar and shred some pepper jack, break up some good deli American cheese and maybe a little carne-asada steak strips.

I’ll lay a second tortilla on top and brush on some spicy garlic butter. I place it into the oven on a heavy cookie sheet or a big cast iron griddle.  Let it bake for about nine minutes at around 395 degrees and then slide it back out.  I flip the whole thing over and brush on some more of the garlic butter, sprinkle it generously with shredded Romano and then back into the oven for another eight or nine minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t scorch.

Pull it out and let it cool for a couple of minutes and then slice it with the pizza slicer and serve with spicy salsa and/or tomatillo sauce.

Never tried the oven, just the big cast iron skillets stove top.  Will have to give your method a try.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Never tried the oven, just the big cast iron skillets stove top.  Will have to give your method a try.  Thanks!

If you’re up for it, just put the skillet in the oven! It’ll work as well as any griddle!!

Just now, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you’re up for it, just put the skillet in the oven! It’ll work as well as any griddle!!

I have a fair selection of old cast iron and have no fear of using it in the oven.  I frequently bake bread in my big Dutch Oven.

9 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I have a fair selection of old cast iron and have no fear of using it in the oven.  I frequently bake bread in my big Dutch Oven.

My favorite biscuit pan! Does eight big biscuits with perfect brown tops and a thin crisp bottom!

IMG_0079.jpeg

Well, I got some mighty good ideas from you folks.  We have a couple of fine Mexican markets here and finally found some tomatillo sauce that is locally made and has no artificial crud in it.  It's way better than I've come across anywhere in years.  And there's carneceria just down the road that makes about a dozen varieties of shredded beef and has some "taco" tomatoes that are great.  There's even a woman who has a little bakery and puts out wonderful tortillas

My cast iron skillet is going to find a new place to hangout, too.

I'll start gathering some things together to try out what I've learned here.

Thanks to you all.  

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Y’all are making me hungry!

Just part of the job…  :lol:

All y'all get pretty fancy.  Flour tortilla, Monterey Jack, maybe Colby Jack, chopped green onions, maybe some Hatch Chilies, top with another flour tortilla. Medium heat on an iron griddle or skillet.  Serve with refritos and pico de gallo.

And a beer or lemonade.

I sometimes chop in some habanero and serano peppers to add to my quesadillas.  The neat thing about ‘em is you can add or delete all sorts of stuff to your quesadilla suit your taste or your mood.  Chopped sautéed onions and even roasted tomatoes are a great addition.

OH YEAH!!  Spread a smear cream cheese with chives and/or cilantro and some sage or cayenne mixed in on your tortilla before you start assembling your meal!

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Still have 'em here.  But I suspect a lot have been eliminated in favor of self checkout.

The last time I went to Home Depot all there was, was self checkout. They aren’t even giving you a choice. Ace or Lowes will be my first choice next time 

I gave up on HD years ago.  Id you aren't a contractor they care whether you're there are not....and their aisles are nearly always crammed full of junk blocking the way, assuming the aisle isn't closed for  some reason or another.

Archived