SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Maverick Derringer vs Bond Arms?

July Smith

Been sort of in the market for a derringer for side match competitions.  I know the Bond Arms is a quality gun but I don't care for stainless guns in general and the cross bolt safety is fugly and unneeded for this sport, they also seem really big for what a derringer is supposed to be.  I see the Uberti Maverick Derringers come up occasionally on gunbroker.  I like the more original look they offer and was wondering how they compare to the Bond Arms in both size and quality.    

As I recall, they're slightly larger than a deck of playing cards... about the same as my Great Western.  Came in .357 & 45 Colt with either blued or CCH frames.

DSCN1507.thumb.JPG.358c01ed661609e5cbe7bff63dd4d2ae.JPG

Spent years looking for one.  Finally found one new in the box.  Shot it once, someone else wanted it more than I did so I sold it.  Stronger than an original Remington but not as strong as a Bond.

1544-01.thumb.jpg.81229c9c82800e461671e27e82b88d55.jpg

I own an American Derringer, "looks" more like the classic Remington than a Bond.

While perhaps not as stout as a Bond - the American brand is also American made, strong and quick.

I also liked my Bond and plan on purchasing another when the right opportunity arises.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

As I recall, they're slightly larger than a deck of playing cards... about the same as my Great Western.  Came in .357 & 45 Colt with either blued or CCH frames.

Had not heard of Great Western derringers before.  That aesthetically looks way better than the Bond or Uberti.  How is the quality of the Great Western?  Also is that truly a 38 S&W caliber or is it 38 Special?

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Dang it!   Every time this picture winds up appearing, I get jealous!   I greatly desire a derringer in .38 S&W, and finding one is exceedingly difficult.   Too add insult to injury, this one by Great Western is over 50 years old, so it's C&R, but every time I ask, Griff says it's not for sale.   :(

But let that go...

This is my derringer.   An RG17.

DerringerLeft.thumb.jpg.92d5d4a7409adc1c669b7745da3baedc.jpgDerringerRight.thumb.jpg.351c733c046b9f423e1a334413990613.jpg

The safety is an annoyance, but I've learned to ignore it.  It's a .38 Special, surprisingly accurate, and not a bad little gun.  Seems to very similar to the original Remingtons.   They are also not that easy to find these days, but I'd not hesitate to recommend it as being a decent little pistol.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Had not heard of Great Western derringers before.  That aesthetically looks way better than the Bond or Uberti.  How is the quality of the Great Western?  Also is that truly a 38 S&W caliber or is it 38 Special?

It is a 38S&W.  Nothing special about it.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Dang it!   Every time this picture winds up appearing, I get jealous!   I greatly desire a derringer in .38 S&W, and finding one is exceedingly difficult.   Too add insult to injury, this one by Great Western is over 50 years old, so it's C&R, but every time I ask, Griff says it's not for sale.   :(

It was a gift to me... Can't rightly just up and sell a gift!  (Or give 'em away)!  

I really LIKE my M1 American Derringer!  It IS stainless, but it’s very similar to the old Remington derringers and it’s anvil tough.

It’s been used on several occasions for a stage starter, shooting two shots per participant for multiple posses!

I have won a couple of derringer side matches with it AND it’s been my “don’t ask, don’t tell” hideaway in many a rough bar where I was performing with my band!

EDIT: Oh Yeah! It’s.45 Colt.

Archived