SASS Wire Forum

Politics in the 1880's

image.thumb.png.4ac81c4ee4e33ab4e6d33f77d2c28bf2.png

The Monkey's Revenge by Carl Edler Von Stur
Puck Magazine
June 1, 1881
Stur depicts the bickering Republican Party leaders as monkeys. New York Senator Roscoe Conkling is perhaps the most unhappy of the lot and seems determined to commit a fatal act.

I disagree, today's politics are MUCH, MUCH worse...mainly due to the internet, social media, the influence (bribery) of domestic/foreign money and the fact that the effects (economic/otherwise) are felt globally

23 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I disagree, today's politics are MUCH, MUCH worse...mainly due to the internet, social media, the influence (bribery) of domestic/foreign money and the fact that the effects (economic/otherwise) are felt globally

I agree. 

I heard a guy in my FGS (favorite gun store) say “If Trump runs again there will be blood in the streets!” His manner and demeanor was such that it made me and other think he disliked Trump. One of the clerks asked “What do you mean by that?”. The guy said “Antifa is planning on disruptions and this time they’re bringing guns.” I started to say something that probably wouldn’t have been viewed well at my hearing when that same clerk said “I hope they do. We need to get this over with!”

Then the guy agreed with him and quickly left. 
I told the clerk “I don’t think he got the response he was looking for.”

The clerk said “He was fishing for supporters. We get those guys in here every once in a while.”

I told him I thought that it wouldn’t matter who runs against Brandon. I have a feeling that dude might be right. There may be blood in the streets. 

We don’t have a lot of info on what people said back then and also their speeches during primaries. I’m sure the saloons, barbershops and general stores had a lot of crap being slung at the candidates back then as much as today.

its gonna get a lot more exciting , we just wish it away .............

interesting note - 1880s politics - a recent account of the gunfight at OK corral said that the "republican" erps went after the "democrat" clanton/mclowery'S ,,,,,,,,i had never heard that before , i did recognize the LEO jurisdiction conflict between the marshals and the sheriff tho , im not sure im buying that line although i would have 'guessed' wyat to be a republican - looking back on the times , 

so what is it about lawlessness that makes them democrats ? i dont get that - they want to disarm but want to let criminals run free and rampant among us ? dont want us to protect ourselves ? i have a rock or tire iron - im not going to sit idly by , but then if you think i am so be it , surprise 

You want to read an interesting take on the political climate today. Read Empire by Orson Scott Card. Written in 2006, it's about the second American Civil War.

There is a second book titled Hidden Empire that is the sequel to the first. It's next on my list of books to listen too. 

Archived