SASS Wire Forum

Stale dated

I had a customer give me a check , I deposited it along with a couple others and got it back in the mail today. Reason for return, STALE DATED. She accidentally dated it 2018, I should have caught it but I didn’t. I’ve never heard the term “ STALE DATED. I mean it’s not food! :lol:

You should write a note to your bank that says “microwave stale checks for 15 seconds and they’ll seem fresh again.” 

I used to do mail orders. Most catalog sales places, the more you order the lower, proportionately, the shipping is. So I would spread the word around that I was making a harbor freight order or I was making a sportsman's Guide order. And coworkers would come and get some stuff.

John always paid me by check. Couple of years after that job went away, and I bought a new wallet. I'm transferring the stuff over from my old one to the new one, and I find two of his checks.

I take them down to the bank, where they inform me that 2-year-old checks are no good.

I look in my records and find what his phone number was 2 years ago, an amazingly it was still his phone number. I tell him what happened, that he had written me $55 worth of checks and I had never cash them and now the bank said they were no good because they were too old, and he asked me my address and sent me a check for $55.

Every once in a while somebody does something that just messes your mind up.

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

that sucks , i hope the customer makes it good , most checks have a shelf life 

Oh yea,she apologized and was embarrassed. 

Checks with a date older than six months are considered "stale dated" by most banks and are returned.  Although not so common anymore (nowadays most checks clear overnight), it was meant to prevent the payer from making the same payment twice, in the event the payee "lost" the first check. 

I bought a pistol from a guy once upon a time. Sent him a check, about 2 weeks later he emailed me and wanted to know where the check was. I told him I had sent it and asked him to give it another week. End of week 3 he emailed me again and wanted to know if I wanted the gun or if I was blowing him off or what. I told him I had stuck another check in the mail that day. And if the first check shows up, to tear it up.

I don't know whether the first check ever showed up or not, but if it did I presume he did what I asked and tore it up since it never cleared.

I still have a "refund" check from the IRS dated in 1986. The amount is $0.14...that's right...14 cents. They sent it to me after a prolonged "It's the principle of the thing" battle with them. I figured it would aggravate them more if I didn't cash it.

I guess this means that I can't cash it now?:P

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I still have a "refund" check from the IRS dated in 1986. The amount is $0.14...that's right...14 cents. They sent it to me after a prolonged "It's the principle of the thing" battle with them. I figured it would aggravate them more if I didn't cash it.

I guess this means that I can't cash it now?:P

Tell them that you were going through your records, saw that you never received your refund and ask for it plus interest.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Tell them that you were going through your records, saw that you never received your refund and ask for it plus interest.

:lol:

Ohhh...that's rich...I absolutely love it.:)

If the fight was worth it, I would. 

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oh yea,she apologized and was embarrassed. 

thats a happy ending , 

oh and dont think the IRS will go back more than three years on that refund check - no they dont pay interest , you pay penalties , i think they will say so sorry 

Archived