SASS Wire Forum

Is it ruger or ammo inc fault

Trigger Mike

I took a brand new ruger ranch in 300 blackout and fired the first round to sight it in with its Sig scope and it put a hole just to the right of the bullseye BUT it locked up the rifle.  I could raise the bolt handle but not pull it back and eject the spent round.  

I finally took a cleaning rod and raised the bolt handle and noticed it took a little effort but the spent cartridge did come out as the bolt ejected it.  

the round seems warped a little and rough on one edge. Might be a hair crack on the edge.

it functions fine now so I might try different ammo tomorrow.  The ammo was ammo inc. 150 grain fmj.  

the same box worked fine in a Diamondback ar15 though two rounds failed to fire the first time but did the second time.  Primer was barely dented.

2BBB3E83-6232-46CA-9F0D-C032D806DC42.jpeg

Sounds ammo related to me. How about 1 or 5 more photos of the case? Is it bulged? What’s “warped” mean? 

Factory round of ammo inc , I didn’t clean it first since it is a bolt action and brand new but break free will be added before trying again.  We got busy today harvesting my sons red potatoes and planting peanuts.  Maybe tomorrow.

Today I took 3 rounds of Winchester ammo and cycled them without firing them and they were sticky at first but got better as I went but ejected fine.  I then fired all 3 and did not have any problems cycling or ejecting afterwards so I may relegate ammo inc ammo to a semiautomatic rifle instead.  

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Today I took 3 rounds of Winchester ammo and cycled them without firing them and they were sticky at first but got better as I went but ejected fine.

Sounds like you have a blob of preservative in the chamber that is slowly clearing out with the cases cycling through. I suggest a good scrubbing with a bore brush and Break Free before your next trip to the range and your troubles will be gone.

Gun preservatives have come a long way from the days of cosmoline, but gun makers still apply a robust lube/preservative before shipping a gun. It’s good practice to alway clean a virgin rifle.  

42 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Sounds like you have a blob of preservative in the chamber that is slowly clearing out with the cases cycling through. I suggest a good scrubbing with a bore brush and Break Free before your next trip to the range and your troubles will be gone.

In the Navy we said “New clothes are dirty clothes. The same goes for small arms.”

Archived