SASS Wire Forum

Inspiration

Had several folks ask if I was crazy, or what...not understanding where some folks inspiration comes from. I was shocked at how many people had not seen it!

So, for those of you who missed this year's Alabama State Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting. I present you the eventual storylines and the inspiration for this year's match:

image.thumb.png.349845e10f1b977031eab4bf7f5fa32f.png

Stage 1 

“I don’t need your extended warranty!”

Your excitement for starting your journey is constantly squelched as you are bombarded by folks who want your attention shouting, “I want to talk to you about your horse’s extended warranty!”

Stage 2

“You ever seen a show in Tijuana?”

After setting out on your way, a young passenger is invited to ride up top. Keeping your eyes on the trail, you immediately start asking the boy all kinds of questions in order to pass the time. As you hand the little boy

Stage 3

"I take it black."

Attempting to start a conversation, the Timer Operator offers you a cup of coffee. As they doctor their cup, they ask you if you would like any cream, to which you respond, “No thanks. I take it black.”

Stage 4

“I don’t speak Apache.”

A passenger who belongs to one of the local tribes gets your attention. He appears to be in distress, but you struggle to understand his verbal communication. As he writhes in pain, you attempt to comfort him but admit, “Sorry. I don’t speak Apache.”

Stage 5

“I had the fish.”

With many of the passengers experiencing severe illness, your Posse Marshal realizes that y’all may have been served bad fish. Concerned that you might look a little peaked yourself, the timer operator asks which meal you had at lunch.

Stage 6

“What is it?”

As you discuss the gravity of the situation with the passengers, one of them explains y’all need to head to the nearest fort to get help. Still not grasping the dire situation you find yourself in, you respond, “A fort? What is it?”

Stage 7

“Nuttin’ left to do but blow.”

The stagecoach is in trouble with the driver incapacitated. As the automatic driver, Otto, begins to deflate you start to panic. In an effort to save everyone, you find the manual inflation nozzle and begin blowing.

Stage 8

“Don’t call me Shirley.”

With the driver incapacitated, you urge the Timer Operator to take the reins and get the stagecoach to the barn. Struggling to take on another responsibility, the Timer Operator responds, “Surely, you can’t be serious.” Deadpan, you reply, “I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.”

Stage 9

“I picked the wrong day to stop smoking mushrooms.”

The local sheriff sees the stagecoach heading down the mountain at a pretty good clip. Suddenly he realizes that there doesn’t appear to be anyone experienced at the reins. Unable to handle the pressure of the impending disaster, the sheriff realizes, “I picked the wrong day to stop smoking mushrooms.”

Stage 10

“Get into crash position!”

With the barn in sight, you realize that the stagecoach is coming in too fast and bound to end up in the ravine. Preparing the passengers for the impending impact, you holler, “Get into crash position!”

54 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Only 10 stages?

'round here, most of the state matches are 10. Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Florida are all that way. Probably more, I reckon. Tennessee moved to 12 a couple years ago to be able and fit in more folks. Not really sure why that is. Maybe some of the old timers from the SE can fill us in on why that is.

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

'round here, most of the state matches are 10. Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Florida are all that way. Probably more, I reckon. Tennessee moved to 12 a couple years ago to be able and fit in more folks. Not really sure why that is. Maybe some of the old timers from the SE can fill us in on why that is.

I attended the Eastern Divisional match in Thurmont, MD in 2016. They only had ten stages. Must be a regional thing. Everything is twelve around here. Although, I remember when WR was only ten. 

responding to the OP - my inspirations go back a lot further than that but i have seen it multiple times in more than one version , i liked it every time 

BWJ, always appreciate your clever wit and sense of humor. Really have enjoyed your stages and look forward to shooting with you in the future... now that you're just a regular old shooter... yeah, right! And your morning songs are just right to wake up all the cowpokes... and the dead! :P All my best.

14 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Not an old timer, but it might have something to do with how many stage / bays the range has. Cavern Cove (Alabama state) only has 10 cowboy bays, Wartrace (TN state) has 15 bays.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:01 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

BWJ, always appreciate your clever wit and sense of humor. Really have enjoyed your stages and look forward to shooting with you in the future... now that you're just a regular old shooter... yeah, right! And your morning songs are just right to wake up all the cowpokes... and the dead! :P All my best.

Old stage writers never quit they retire gracefully to a comfortable easy chair ...

...until someone pulls them back kicking and screaming the whole way.

Enjoy your retirement BWJ, while you can. :lol:

Archived