SASS Wire Forum

How do we recognize those who can't stand?

There are places and events that take time to recognize Veterans.

The Veterans are ask to stand so others can show  'thanks'.

But nobody ever thinks about the Veterans who might not be able to stand.

Those are the ones who need a front row seat.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

At some events their helper will stand with an arm over the honoree pointing at them.

I have seen this. 

Walk up and lean over.  Hold a Photo next to their head.  Compare.  Yep, Atz him alright, then have the rest of the citizens applaud.  A little more complicated if their already dead.

I used to go with a women's Republican club that always asked the vets to stand.  One old man was seated at my table about the third or fourth time I went.  He asked me to help stand up.  "Son, would you help me stand?  I can't manage it alone."  Another man and I each took a side and he got vertical, straightened as best he could, and smiled.  We stayed standing for the Pledge of Allegiance.

The crowd went nuts.

I never knew, nor much cared, just who they were clapping for.  I hope it was for him.   I arranged to share his table for every meeting until he died some months later and we always stood together.  

At his funeral his daughter told me that she had strict instructions to tell me "thanks". 

I have a very hard time standing because of the arthritis  in my knees and hips, but I would surly ask for help if I need it

My time is rapidly getting to where I'll need help.  I already have trouble getting up and sitting down.  Once I'm there I'm alright, but achieving each position is work.  Getting in and out of my car is most bothersome, cafe booths are next.

Archived