SASS Wire Forum

Should I go even higher on muzzle velocity?

Mysterious Stranger

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cholla said:

Wow. I did read about this working on shotguns very well, but this actually works even on handguns? With the very short barrel length versus a shotgun or rifle, you'd have to be very experienced in the technique or be prepared to do a lot of back and forth bending or have some sort of jig and measurement indicator to help you "dial it in".

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Unless and until you put your gun in a Ransom rest, this entire examination of minutiae is moot. 

Get real. How many people have access to both (a) a Ransom rest and (b) the correct grip inserts for their specific firearm to use in the Ransom rest? I sure do not. I think the Laser boresighter was a more practical tool to use in this case, and it did successfully confirm the problem.

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You’ve received some great advice from very knowledgeable people, but you still want to squeeze orange juice from a turnip. Knock yourself out. 

First, some folks seem to not understand that I have limited choices. I cannot trade the revolvers for different ones. Canadian law now prohibits the sale or transfer of handguns, period. If I had not bought the 2 I did (the ONLY ones available to me by then), I would not now be able to get back into CAS at all.

Also, the comments on "try a different powder" are misguided, because I am not able to buy any powder suitable with any reliability of ongoing ability to do so. Sure, I can find a pound or two at a gun show, pay $85 Canadian for it, and not be able to get more when I need it, but that would be pretty stupid to do. By the way, the going gunshow price for primers is $300 to $400 Canadian per 1000. Good thing I had some in inventory before the current crisis.

I have no choice right now but to "squeeze orange juice from a turnip", because no oranges are reliably available and some are outright legally prohibited, and trunips are the only way back into CAS,

Given those constraints, what great advice am I ignoring?

It seems to me that continuing my way up the load table makes sense, having the gunsmith do what he can with the physical alignment of the sights makes sense, and if necessary trying those 158g HARD CAST bullets that should arrive today or soon makes sense.

What does NOT make sense to me is to "just shoot", because shooting with a lot of windage error or with a load that fails to reliably knock down the knockdown targets actually in use at the place I shoot at, seems like a copout, not a solution.

I asked if I should go higher in the load table, and a number of guys said "no", but never really gave a logical reason WHY going higher was bad. Sure, I know now that most CAS shooters on this forum favour low velocities, but even the guys that shoot 45 Colt 250g bullets that have have power factors, and therefore recoil, way higher than my 130g bullets have even at 900+ fps, so their logic is pretty flawed.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

OK

DONT.   FEED.   THE.   TROLL.

The guys who label others "trolls" usually turn out to be the actual trolls. When they have no logical replies, they resort to name calling. They don't like it when someone asks a reasonable question or makes a logical statement because it is not what they are used to or what they inaccurately believed. But they can't think of a LOGICAL counter argument, so they try to label someone as a "troll" because it is the only thing they can think of to say because they like to have the last word. Might be smarter if they just don't say anything. 

OK.  We have three pages of YOU whining and sniveling about your perceived accuracy, posing questions at every turn and arguing with every answer as apparently you didn't get the answer you "wanted."  

I labeled you a Troll, not because I don't have logical answers to your questions, but because you haven't accept'd ANY answers to your questions.

You are also prone to hypothetical gibberish going nowhere.  If you are of the impression you are so much smarter than all of us, why are you asking questions in the first place??  Show your obvious superiority??

With any luck, you'll be ignored.

Based on the FACT that the change from 3.8g of powder to 4.4g improved group size, I'm going to try going further up the load table to 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0g and see if that is better or worse.

I also have the 158g HARD cast RNFP bullets arriving imminently, so I might even be able to test those as well as the 130g sometime this week.  

The 4.4g 130g bullets at 850 fps did not show any leading at all, so I suspect that the low 900s fps I expect to see with the higher powder loads won't be enough to cause any leading issues either.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

d73.gif.e82a43001edabf10f6c864ff23349311.gif

I'm glad you are enjoying this, Larson. Good no-cost entertainment is hard to find! :)

I AM curious about what will happen to both group size, elevation error, and windage error, if anything, when I shoot the slightly higher (4.5% to 13.6% higher) powder loads.

1 minute ago, Shawnee Hills said:

Worst case of OCD that I've ever seen!  MS - yer gonna drive yourself nuts chasing this.

Not to mention the expense!

Popcorn.gif.be6dac44b03a53ea4c700d6b14bf0480.gif

Where I lived before half a dozen of us who shot SASS would meet over the Winter at an indoor range.  The highlight of the meeting was cutting a playing card edge wise with a bullet at 25 feet.  It was for a few bucks, I think everyone kicked in a $5.  Nearly everyone in the group did it more than once, some of us often.  Most of us were using Colts, can't recall the others, probably Rugers.  In point of fact an SAA can be as accurate as anything but high end target guns. I won't keep a gun that isn't accurate except for a couple of antiques that I almost never shoot.

Some, and I repeat, some shooters put the same amount of effort in to develop off book, lower than manufacturers data, light loads for SASS. As long as  anyone is within the legal limits, velocity or power  factor wise, they shoukd be good to go.

As far as your windage concerns go, have you bought a set of Swiss needle files, and GRADUALLY taken a little off the inside of the rear sight groove in the direction you want to move the groups? File a LITTLE, shot a little, continue as needed.

Best of luck!

Archived