SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1886 Sights -- Marbles Rear Sight - What Front Sight?

Cholla

Get the style where the inserts are held in by a threaded plug and not the style where the insert drops in from the top and is held in by a short spring. 

That short spring snags on everything and ends up breaking.

Buy this style

image.png.5a76b1b962dc290601bcc8d62a6e37ae.png

Not this style

image.png.e6f739d2f3d36ca8937ac87b2b8e7912.png

If you're planning on shooting long range consider adding a barrel mounted level.

What's your definition of "long range"?  For most cowboy long range events you can probably get by with the factory front sight.  If you'd like a bit more precision, the Lyman 17A series of sights will be of benefit.  Are of good quality, and with a inset kit, very adaptable to differing conditions.  If you're going for 300 yards, for example, you probably want a front sight that includes a level.  For canting the rifle will seriously impact the repeatability of your shots.   For a number of years I used a sight very much like the one you show in the link, but... I filed the top of the ball off to have a more precise "T".  Also, IMO, the ball, "T" or cross of the sight should be in the center of the globe... not in the upper or lower quadrant.  It will make lining up the front sight in the center of your tang peep sight much easier, or natural.  

Ranges of 150 to 200 yards is what I am gearing up for.

Standard Post front sight should work.  What do you plan on shooting, steel, paper, game.  With peep sights  I like to take 6 oclock hold on a bullseye and zero to point of aim.  A 6 oclock hold is a more repeatable fine aiming point than center of bull.

Steel target. I plan on using it for the long-range lever-action rifle match at Bordertown.

Archived