SASS Wire Forum

Hmmm...Anyone do this?

Rancho Roy

My Ruger Vaqueros are converted to half cock with no transfer bar.....but still use a spring loaded firing pin located in the frame. Has anyone ever removed the firing pin and located it on the hammer like a REAL colt?

hammer1.png

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well, No, haven't seen that.  I suppose it could be done with enough money/machine tools to throw at it.  But . . . . why bother??

To remove yet one more area of lost energy as the hammer has to transfer force to the firing pin and the firing pin to the primer.....also, to remove one more point of potential failure......and most important....It would be different!

Ah well Roy,

I don't know if it would be worth the effort to eliminate the minuscule lost energy of a frame mounted Firing Pin.  I also don't see much of a threat of potential failure in the Ruger design.

I do however, really go for the idea it would be different.  Really different.  Fun different.  Still be a gob of work though.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ah well Roy,

I don't know if it would be worth the effort to eliminate the minuscule lost energy of a frame mounted Firing Pin.  I also don't see much of a threat of potential failure in the Ruger design.

I do however, really go for the idea it would be different.  Really different.  Fun different.  Still be a gob of work though.

I love work...on guns!  I might try it at some point.....

4 hours ago, Eastern Tenderfoot, SASS# 15682 said:

What? You drinking again. If not maybe u should , relaxes your brain.

Just a little tutt before dinner! :-)

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me the purpose of reducing lost energy is to allow for lighter springs.  At some point the springs will be so light the shooter will outrun them.  

So although this could be fun to play with the process of building I wonder whether you would actually get any increased functionality from it.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me the purpose of reducing lost energy is to allow for lighter springs.  At some point the springs will be so light the shooter will outrun them.  

So although this could be fun to play with the process of building I wonder whether you would actually get any increased functionality from it.

I agree, my revolvers are now down to 2 pounds  hammer draw....this is quite light. Mostly, I just like messing with stuff

HHHMMMM..... adding weight to the hammer will slow it down .... BUT .....  by cutting out the extra metal in the hammer, via the light hammer colt 1911 style,  you could, then.....drilling out the frame for the longer than normal firing pin,  then.........so on and  ....  etc........:rolleyes:

PS....don't forget to use hollow wire to reduce spring back time!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, Caladisi kid said:

HHHMMMM..... adding weight to the hammer will slow it down .... BUT .....  by cutting out the extra metal in the hammer, via the light hammer colt 1911 style,  you could, then.....drilling out the frame for the longer than normal firing pin,  then.........so on and  ....  etc........:rolleyes:

PS....don't forget to use hollow wire to reduce spring back time!!!!!!

Not interested in "Lock Time" (Hammer Speed)....but might have interest in Lightened Hammer Draw while shooting two hands.....

10 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Why do you still have those pointy things out on the end of the barrels?

Welllll, those are my short pistols. Believe it or not, I might traditional Saturday at Oak Ridge. I haven't done that since 2019. Even in practice. :o Cross draw of course. Using my double barrel too. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Knowing you it will be pretty awesome when you get through.

Or a complete disaster and I won't tell anyone about it!:D

Archived