SASS Wire Forum

resource(s) for collecting swords?

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I've always wanted to expand my gun collecting to swords.  Things that would interest me are American military swords from the Revolutionary War through about 1900, French and British swords from the American Revolution timeframe, Scottish basket hilted swords from the medieval era through the 19th century, and maybe a few others.

HOWEVER, as with most collectibles, I know there are counterfeits but I don't know how to spot one.  I know of one guy locally who would buy reproductions and then immerse them in buckets of urine for a few months to make them look aged.  I couldn't tell the difference between his piss swords and a real antique, so it apparently works.  But surely there are markings, etc. known to be genuine or ways to detect the artificial aging (as a coin collector I know many in my hobby are drawn to rainbow colored toning, so there are a lot of folks out there who artificially cause a silver coin to develop rainbow toning by jamming it into a potato and then baking it; I've taken entire classes on how to tell when rainbow toning has been faked in this manner...surely there is something similar for swords). 

I also don't know anything about manufacturers.  Which ones are desirable, which ones are not, etc.  In fact, I don't know anything about swords.  I don't even own the Army officer's sword despite being an Army officer (this is not a required item, but I'm thinking I will soon rectify this shortcoming).

Surely there are books covering these subjects (maybe you've noticed I'm a bit bookish, anyway).  I assume a book would cover one of the subject areas I mentioned, so this may turn into another branch of my personal library, but I'm ok with that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I refuse to use Fake book for anything.  If you search American Sword Collectors Association, your browser will come up with a variety of options.  Check your State and those near to you for Weapons Collectors Groups.   Books are a fine resource, and they are countless. Handle as many of "the real thing" as you can.  There is a definite feel to real weapons.  Never ventured deeply into American Swords, but have had a few pass through my hands.

15 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Atlanta Cutlery website has swords from ruff to buff, for all interests and wallet-sizes.

2 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

If you want replicas try Museum Replicas

https://www.museumreplicas.com/one-handed-swords

Pards, apparently I wasn't clear enough, but I have absolutely no interest in modern reproductions of swords.  I'm looking to collect the real thing.

Get your wallet out. You are about to go down a serious rabbit hole. I used to collect some. The only one I have left is an 1872 officer’s model cavalry saber. The Rev War American models are pretty rare. European ones are a bit less. A bit.

The American Sword, by Peterson is a good reference book.

yes indeed a spendy area , all mine are gone now even my 1860 heavy that was really the only one i had attachment to , there are some great sites out there for sword collectors if you look a bit , i think ive deleted all my links as i parted with my collections but if i find any ill add them here , i know there are books as well if you look for them , 

i still have a couple bayonets' , but even most of those are gone now save for my P1907 hookie the rest might go as well in the next couple years ,  the books i do have , i enjoy looking at them from time to time , 

Archived