SASS Wire Forum

I need a little Canadian translated

Alpo

This is from a book written in 1941. In this particular passage, the teenage boy is running down the hill towards the lake.

"cantered down the long turf slope, jumping the patches of juniper. In three minutes he had traversed the waterside fringe of birch and poplar and was on a broad beach of shingle, beyond which, like the mane of a wild horse, the white waters of the Manitou swung to the Sea Pool."

Shingle. I know of a shingle on the roof of a house. I know of a doctor hanging out his sign and it's a shingle. And I know of a version of herpes you get on your back called shingles. But this "broad beach of shingle"? I ain't got a clue.

That’s not a Canadian word. But there ain’t no shingle beaches in Florida so I’m not surprised you hadn’t heard it before.

Well, it's from a book taking place in Canada, written by a Canadian. I just assumed, like toque, it was a Canadian term.

Heck, I was shocked when I first heard that beaches came anotherIN OTHER colors besides white.

I need a little Canadian translated

http://sassnet.com/forums/uploads/profile/photo-26.jpg

By Alpo,

Although both are Canadians ....... 

... neither the Kid from Cold Lake nor the Lawdog from Buffalo Creek seem to be "little" ......

.............I don't think I can help you ......   :blush:

Jay Silverheels was a big Canadian - 6 foot tall, 181 pounds.

Based on this picture of him standing next to Little Joe Cartwright, Chief Dan George seems to be about 5 foot tall, maybe 80 pounds soaking wet. He was a little Canadian.

e5da48466e381d155e02c97b36d79bd1.jpg

Chief Dan George was a whole lot easier to understand than Tonto was. That's why I wanted a little Canadian to help me. Based solely on this extremely small sample, big Canadians are harder to understand.

:P

Well Webster defins it as " coarse rounded detritus or alluvial material especially on the seashore that differs from ordinary gravel only in the larger size of the stone"

Looks like that's where the roofing shingle got its name. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, it's from a book taking place in Canada, written by a Canadian. I just assumed, like toque, it was a Canadian term.

Heck, I was shocked when I first heard that beaches came anotherIN OTHER colors besides white.

I used to own 3 acres of land near Black Sands Beach near Hilo, Hawaii.  I bought it for under $5,000.00 and sold it for $15,000.00.

It's probably worth over $25,000,000.00 now.  All covered in condos and surrounded by much more acreage on all side.

I've grown up here on the Redneck Riviera. The Miracle Strip, the World's Most Beautiful Beaches - whatever the hell the tourist drawer-inners are calling it now (last I heard they were calling it the Emerald Coast). But we have sugar sand. It's white. You need to wear sunglasses otherwise you get sunburned on your eyes from the reflection.

When I was growing up and I would see a movie or a TV show where they were at the beach and the sand was brown - damn man, fix the color! That sand color is off!! :D

Archived