SASS Wire Forum

1.5 Fg black powder

Bart Slade

Howdy y'all;

Anybody have any experience with 1.5 Fg black powder?

I'm thinking about getting a few pounds for use in my 12ga shotgun (for which I ususally use 2 Fg).   May have to experiment a bit on my own, but thinking maybe if I just up the charge a bit this should work?

I usually use 2F in shotgun, but my 1st choice would be 1F (more flame), 2nd would be 1.5F (never used it, though), then my standard 2F, then 3F.  I've loaded lots of shotgun with 3F just because I had more of it, and can't really tell the difference in any of them as far as the shooting goes once the timer goes off.

If you encounter tough to knockdown sg targets you may have some trouble getting them to go down. If you run your sg loads through  a chrono you may find that there is a considerable difference between powder grades. With the coarser grades a lot of the powder is burning after it exits the barrel. the picture below is Schuetzen Harzer grade powder and that is a 44/40, with 2f I would get about 1/3 the amount of flame.

kR

Yes, second to IMC.   ALWAYS check your BP loads for a good pattern.  I've seen pards who thought they had a nice pattern shoot at popper knockdown plates and throw a donut all around the plate without knocking it over.

(Usually they have been using fiber wads and plenty of powder)

good luck, GJ

On 4/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bart Slade said:

Howdy y'all;

Anybody have any experience with 1.5 Fg black powder?

May have to experiment a bit on my own, but thinking maybe if I just up the charge a bit this should work?

Yes ! 1.5 Fg in a 12 ga. makes long flames & beautiful smoking streamers. You'll never go back !  :D   

Archived