SASS Wire Forum

benefits of hanging in there or it took her 35 years to understand me better

Trigger Mike

Back in 2014 and 2015 my wife had cancer.  We had a serious struggle.  she repeatedly asked for a divorce.  I refused, but had a hard time.  I posted on here back then some of my problems and many helped me get through it.  Flash forward to my accident and head injury.  As I laid there in the E.R. I was out of my head.  I rambled on and on.  I kept asking my wife about my children and were they taken care of and ok.  I began to weep a lot(totally out of character) and cry about my daughter who quit school, left home, bought a buy here pay here car, won't tell us where she moved to.  Says she is never coming back.  I recall telling my wife at the E.R. I was being strong so she could cry every day and so the children had stability.  Then I started weeping as she told me how my 16 year old son was stepping up and taking care of the other children and handling things as they came up while I was out of commission.  doing things I usually take care of.  

She told me a couple of days later how she finally saw the sensitive side of me after over 35 years of marriage.  Something she had never seen before and had misunderstood when she had cancer.   She thought back then I was just a jerk, but didn't realize how much I did care then and now.  My nuttiness in the E.R.  might have actually been beneficial  

we hung in there, got better and now she is doing for me things I was trying to do for her back then, help me around the house, help me shower, bring me pills, wake up at 3am to give me another one, open water bottles, open tooth paste tubes , drive me everywhere since I can not grab the wheel.  

Then today she got some kind of stomach bug, similar to the kind that made her pass out a year or so ago.  though bandaged and struggling, I got to pitch in and help her.  brung her salt water to raise her blood pressure so she wouldn't pass out, ice cubes to ward off vomiting, clean the floor, get her new clothes.  we are a pair of worn out old folks taking care of each other, and couldn't had we broke it off back in 2015.  glad we stayed together.  

On April 13 my wife and I celebrate 37 years, We have had many ups and downs but our love has continued to grow.

Jan 29 2021 she just about lost me, Mega blood Clots in Heart and Lungs, the worse part she said was watching me be taken away and her not being able to go

along. Due to COVID She was afraid she would never see again in this life.

While I still have pretty serious health issues Kidneys, Lungs and Heart damage, she has been there for me. 

Even when I took on Pastoring our small church ( temporary ) It will be Two years on May 7 ....

God has been Growing Us together. About 5 months ago We thought we had a Young Pastoral Family that was going to allow me to step out and spend more time with grandkids and her. But that hasn't worked out, now the District has appointed me interm Supply Pastor, with no end date, Yes she is still hanging in there and I couldn't do it with-out Her ...

Jabez Cowboy

Best of luck to you.
Too many people bail out when things get tough. It takes work, dedication, and compromise. Love isn’t always easy.

It’s worth it. Tim McGraw said it well.

“When all is said and done
I'd never count the cost
It's worth all that's lost
Just to see you smile”

52 years, 7 months, and 10 days. ❤️

I've got to get where I can start driving again.   Today my son was driving the truck we use to haul the garbage to the dump since we don't have garbage pickup.   His is still in the shop.  It broke down when my wife went to town to meet my son for something else, so she had to get it towed instead of me being there to try and figure it out. At this rate, they are going to get used to not relying on me and not need me anymore.  

Dr took more x-rays,  nothing is broken, just so swollen I can't use the left hand and struggle using the right, but can work a 22 mag revolver if need be.  

My wife and I have been married 57+ years. There have been some bumps in the road, especially when my work totally controlled our life. But through it all we have worked thing out through lots of talk and understanding. Marriage is lots of work.

Congratulations to you and your wife, hang in there.

Archived