SASS Wire Forum

Dillon: 44 Spcl in 45 Colt shell plate?

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I have a 550 press with a 45 Colt conversion.  Dillon lists a separate shell plate for 44 Russian/Spcl/Mag than for 45 Colt.  Seems to me like I should be able to use the .45 shell plate for the .44's, needing only to change the powder funnel (locator buttons are the same).  The thickness of both rims is the same.  The rim diameter of the .44 is .514 versus .512 for the .45.  Are the shellplates so tight that .002 oversize won't fit? Or that the .001 difference in center-bore makes a difference in fitting into the dies?   On my Lee press, the .44 Spcl and 45 Colt use the same shell holder.  

My loader is across town right now or I would try the fit myself.  Am I overlooking anything besides the powder funnel that would make a difference?  

44 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have a 550 press with a 45 Colt conversion.  Dillon lists a separate shell plate for 44 Russian/Spcl/Mag than for 45 Colt.  Seems to me like I should be able to use the .45 shell plate for the .44's, needing only to change the powder funnel (locator buttons are the same).  The thickness of both rims is the same.  The rim diameter of the .44 is .514 versus .512 for the .45.  Are the shellplates so tight that .002 oversize won't fit? Or that the .001 difference in center-bore makes a difference in fitting into the dies?   On my Lee press, the .44 Spcl and 45 Colt use the same shell holder.  

My loader is across town right now or I would try the fit myself.  Am I overlooking anything besides the powder funnel that would make a difference?  

Measure the cases above the rim, the difference is closer to 0.024 on the cases I measured.

I have both, and after measuring the differences, I also agree strongly with the advice you've already been given. 

In addition to the slot, the 45 Colt shell plate is a bunch (about 0.035") thicker in the area that the die will seat/fit into. Dillon does some funky things with different shellplates. Some even seem to be specifically designed, in subtle ways, to be used with Dillon dies. 

BB

Thanks for some of those measurements.   So far nobody has actuaIly tried it except on a SDB.  I think I will take a few empty 44 Spcl (with the .45 dies in place) and just see if they deprime and prime okay.  If they do, I will continue the experiment.  If not, that's that.  No rush, the machine is 15 minutes away and the .44 brass is 90 miles away.

I'm no help.  I load on a Dillion 650 and the cartridge feed guide and the shell plate are definitely different.  A 44 rattles around in the 45 shell plate and pops out of the guide plate.

PS: Cummon Abilene.  right parts/tools for the job.  Don't bodge it up. 

Archived