SASS Wire Forum

Have you seen a butt plate like this?

I bought a 16ga hammered double. It is a Belgian shotgun, made in 1897 from the best that I can decifer the markings. I have it stripped down to parts to clean 125 years of stuff out of the works. The varnish (probably not original) was flaking off, so I stripped the wood and it is out in the garage getting oiled. My last question is about the butt plate. It is some sort of rubber, I think. It looks like there are some cracks on the outer surface but they do not go all the way thru. Have you ever seen one like this? I love the hunting scene on it. My main question is how should I clean this? Any suggestions??

52838E69-7367-4E67-B118-50722B2BF492.jpeg

A3E0641F-0669-4E09-865C-9B467E36B746.jpeg

If you are looking to reproduce it, you might check out https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/.  I've met with him (He lives about 10 miles from me).  At the time, he was looking for some different projects for his 3D printer.  I've had him build several sets of grips for me for my bullseye guns.  

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

If you are looking to reproduce it, you might check out https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/.  I've met with him (He lives about 10 miles from me).  At the time, he was looking for some different projects for his 3D printer.  I've had him build several sets of grips for me for my bullseye guns.  

Thought about 3D printing for other things, but not for grips.  Great idea.

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

Thought about 3D printing for other things, but not for grips.  Great idea.

He completes the grips, sends them to you.  If they don't fit, he has you mock them up with an epoxy putty and return them to him.  He redoes the grips N/C.  I've also had him change grip angle on European.22s to match the grip angle of the 1911.

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

He completes the grips, sends them to you.  If they don't fit, he has you mock them up with an epoxy putty and return them to him.  He redoes the grips N/C.  I've also had him change grip angle on European.22s to match the grip angle of the 1911.

Years ago, in Bullseye we used to build up our grips with all sorts of goop - no pride of ownership, seriously ugly and always in a state for flux.  Still have the battery, Wouldn't mind shooting some Bulleseye again.  though woefully out of practice!

For cleaning, try using warm water and Dawn dishwashing detergent with an old tooth brush. Once dry, flood the cracks with superglue. If worried about it cracking, make a thin plate of brass and epoxy it to the plate.

14 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

make a thin plate of brass and epoxy it to the plate.

Dang, great minds think alike! Before I removed it, I was afraid the cracks were much deeper. I assumed it would come apart when I removed it. I figured I could epoxy it to a brass plate just as you suggested. I was happy the cracks were not all the way through. 

From the time period of the gun and its looks it appears to be gutta percha.  Mild soap and water is a good suggestion but given its condition it will probably be very fragile.  The cracks are right in the screw holes so if you decide to use it be very careful tightening the butt screws.

13 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I bought a 16ga hammered double. It is a Belgian shotgun, made in 1897 from the best that I can decifer the markings. I have it stripped down to parts to clean 125 years of stuff out of the works. The varnish (probably not original) was flaking off, so I stripped the wood and it is out in the garage getting oiled. My last question is about the butt plate. It is some sort of rubber, I think. It looks like there are some cracks on the outer surface but they do not go all the way thru. Have you ever seen one like this? I love the hunting scene on it. My main question is how should I clean this? Any suggestions??

52838E69-7367-4E67-B118-50722B2BF492.jpeg

A3E0641F-0669-4E09-865C-9B467E36B746.jpeg

A good saddle soap.

Clean it without stripping oils left, and give it some where it needs it.

Get a thin (3/8 or 1/2") rubber recoil pad from Pachmayr that is a grind to fit large enough to fit to your buttstock.   

Since you are refinishing stock, it's dead simple to grind the pad perfectly to fit your stock.  And since you have already worked the stock over, there's no need to try to retain any of the value of the old butt plate.  Put it away if you feel is has some, but I'd say it does not.

good luck, GJ

Archived