SASS Wire Forum

Leaf Springs

Snakebite

I have broken one. 

On a Uberti that had been run hard for nearly 20 years.  (and in fairness - the spring had been hour glassed)

Along with two firing pins and the bolt retention pin (small side to side pin that holds the firing pin assembly to the bolt).

But in my ham handed - less than smooth or gentle handling - nothing to complain about.

I built CAS guns for 20+ years.  In all the guns I built, I have only had 2 Main Spring break.  One popped when the gun was still in the shop, passing it's stay cocked for 24 hours test (without breaking or taking a set).  One other let go at a match and it was mine.  Go figure.  I don't consider Leaf type Main Springs to be fragile.  I and my customers have all run our guns hard.  

59 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I had one lose its tension at a match once.

Largo

When that happens at a big match, the tension usually increases in other areas. ;)

I've seen one main spring break that had never been worked on, factory original.

One mainspring that had been worked on, many thousands of rounds through it.

One lever/lifter arm (don't remember which side) that had never been worked on.

One '66 main spring that had never been worked on, but was from one of the real early short carrier guns, the spring looked cast.

Yep, one week before the FL state! You know that's how it goes. A Cody ground spring, over 10 years and tens of thousands of cycles. A scramble to get fixed.

Archived