SASS Wire Forum

300 blackout question

Trigger Mike

I went to my local store .  My kids private school asked me to donate another rifle like I did last year.  Last year I donated a basic , local made ar15 made by vidalia police supply and the school sold it at an auction for over 2100, more than twice what I paid. 

The local store had on hand a diamondback db15 with BOTH a 5.56 and 300 blackout upper.  899.  That seems like it might bring good money for the school.  Sadly I am like Sgt Schultz, "I know nothing" about 300 blackout.  

Is it a good round?  Is it popular?  Is that a good idea for a fundraiser item?

.300 Blackout it is one of those rounds that is a solution to a question that wasn’t asked in the civilian world. 
It was developed as a subsonic round to be used with suppressors / silencers but still have some killing power for special forces. 

I personally think the round is a joke but it does have it’s following. 

I have a .300BO and it's a great platform. With supersonic loads the ballistics are nearly the same as the 7.62x39mm AK round, only in an AR and using standard AR mags. In subsonic form it is great for home defense with a suppressor and delivers comparable performance to a .45ACP or 10mm. The big downside to it at the moment is the cost of the ammo. It was already expensive pre-COVID, but now it is both hard to find and outrageously priced.

The 300BO has a huge following, popular with wild pig hunters. 300 cases are made from cut down .223 cases. Big problem I see, and the reason I don't have one, is in some cases the 300 cartridge will chamber in a .223 gun, that .30 caliber bullet is not going out that .22 caliber barrel. Lot of pics on the net of blown up guns from .300 BO in a .223 gun.

Just now, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The 300BO has a huge following, popular with wild pig hunters. 300 cases are made from cut down .223 cases. Big problem I see, and the reason I don't have one, is in some cases the 300 cartridge will chamber in a .223 gun, that .30 caliber bullet is not going out that .22 caliber barrel. Lot of pics on the net of blown up guns from .300 BO in a .223 gun.

That is true, and you have to be very careful not to mix up loaded mags in each caliber when you're at the range. I never shoot my .300BO on the same range trip as my 5.56 rifles. I also have some dedicated .300 mags that I have labeled on the side. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me from dong something stupid. :unsure:

For sonic 30 cal rounds the 300 hamr is a better round.  Basically a longer case 300 bo.   300 bo was designed around 200g+ bullets to fit mag length on a 223.   Perfect for sub sonic, but not great for sonic.  The hamr takes that extra space available when shooting 100-125g bullets and converts it to case so you can get more powder and velocity.  

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That is true, and you have to be very careful not to mix up loaded mags in each caliber when you're at the range. I never shoot my .300BO on the same range trip as my 5.56 rifles. I also have some dedicated .300 mags that I have labeled on the side. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me from dong something stupid. :unsure:

Magpul 300BO mags have feed lips that a slightly different than 223/5.56 mags.  With the 223/5.56 mags the 200-220 grain bullets in subsonic loads may not feed reliably.  I bought a 300 BO upper a few years back & had a few jams; so, I bought some 300BO mags.  I eventually built a lower for it when I realized it is a PITA to swap uppers on a Colt Sporter.  After the misses said no more guns after the CMP Garand was delivered to the front door this summer I decided to buy a 30 cal can with a 1/2" & a 5/8" quick change muzzle device.   I'm waiting for the ATF to process my application.

Archived