Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Old Gun Loading Data


Recommended Posts

Was at a local shop and they had an interesting antique shotgun.  What is really interesting is the loading data label in the upper left hand corner of the gun case.

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What was the price tag?  I doubt I could afford it but it would be an investment worth making. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

What was the price tag?  I doubt I could afford it but it would be an investment worth making. 

 

 

$5,500.00

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That’s pretty cool right there. 
 

I found the Abercrombie and Fitch connection humorous. Once upon a time they did outfit safaris. Now they sell overpriced Chinese clothing to gender neutral youth. 

 

When I was in high school and college I loved to wander through the San Francisco store, marveling at the amazing good that I would never be able to afford.

 

Eventually, I began to make small purchases - a cleaning brush, a handful of flies... just so I could tell myself that I shopped at A&F.  (More than once was I followed through the store during my entire visit by an "undercover" security guy. :lol: ).

 

And now... oh hell, now they're far worse than Eddie Bauer - another one-time terrific retailer...  from "Eddie Bauer, Expedition Outfitter" to "Eddie Bauer, Tennis Togs For the Upwardly Mobile."  :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody good at deciphering other people's handwriting, could you tell me -the second line of CHARGE OF POWDER. The first word and the last word. The first word appears to me to be Aain, which makes no sense, and the last word is _itr_s.  Looks like it starts with an L, maybe, so equivalent in liters (metric weight?). But it looks like it ends in an O, so equivalent in nitro? That makes more sense, but it does not appear to start with an N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Anybody good at deciphering other people's handwriting, could you tell me -the second line of CHARGE OF POWDER. The first word and the last word. The first word appears to me to be Aain, which makes no sense, and the last word is _itr_s.  Looks like it starts with an L, maybe, so equivalent in liters (metric weight?). But it looks like it ends in an O, so equivalent in nitro? That makes more sense, but it does not appear to start with an N.

“Plain black or its equivalent in nitro”

 

Nitro was short for nitrocellulose, an early term for smokeless powder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That’s pretty cool right there. 
 

I found the Abercrombie and Fitch connection humorous. Once upon a time they did outfit safaris. Now they sell overpriced Chinese clothing to gender neutral youth. 

Ernest Hemingway bought his Winchester shotguns at A&F.  The model 12 that he shot for years was traded in on a newer model 12 in the late 1950s.  That lost gun would be worth a fortune.  Lots of pictures and stories of Hemingway with that gun that he used to kill injured leopards and lions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.