SASS Wire Forum

Egg cooking question

Alpo

If you was to take two eggs and then two egg whites and swirl them all up together to make scrambled eggs, would you end up with fluffier eggs, or would you end up with lighter eggs (because you've got two sets of yellows and four sets of white) or what would be the result?

I was reading a recipe for making the cream filling for a Boston cream pie. It calls for two egg yolks. And the recipe said to "separate the yolks from the whites (save the whites for another recipe)".

What, I wondered, do you do with egg whites? You make meringue? You make angel food cake? I don't do either one of those. So if I was making this cream filling, I would have these two egg whites left over. What would I do with them?

And that's when I thought about adding them to scrambled eggs. I normally scramble three eggs. Two whole eggs plus the whites of two eggs would probably give me about the same volume of liquid.

Surely someone has tried this.

I'VE frozen eggs before. Crack three eggs into a half pint mason jar, scramble the hell out of them, put a lid on, date it, and freeze. I've eaten eggs been in the freezer a year and a half. No problem. Just got to make sure you bust that yoke up. I had one where I only broke two of the yolks - didn't see the third one wasn't broken as I was mixing them up. That third joke didn't scramble real well when I took 'em out of the freezer 6 months later.

Mix in a tablespoon of sour cream per two eggs for fluffier scrambled eggs.

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why would anyone crack three eggs and put them in a Mason jar and save them for a year?

Because 2 seperate neighbors set 3/ 18 count containers of fresh eggs on my front porch from their chickens...EACH, 2 days apart!!!

I still have several baggies of scrambled-frozen egs in the freezer!

Great when I want to make fried rice, or egg drop soup!

Alpo,

They'll be fine whisked with the other two whole eggs.  I ate a lot of scrambled eggs like that when I was doing the Adkin's diet. I like a little milk blended into my scrambled eggs.

Make yourself a treat.  Add some ham and cheese and have an omelete. 

My son-in-law claims to be on an Atkins diet.  When we have a pancake breakfast, he struts around eating tasteless bacon*, but put a cookie or chocolate muffin in front of him and there goes the diet.

———————

* Yes, bacon can be cooked so that it’s tasteless.

When I do scrambled eggs, I crack three eggs in a bowl, stir 'em up. Add a large spoonful of chunky salsa. Stir some more. Add some bacon bits. Cut some chunks off a smoked sausage. There is a bagged refrigerated potato product called simply potatoes. It comes in several types. I get the shredded hash browns. Drop in a small handful of the hash browns. Stir it up some more after every addition.

Nuke it for a minute (have a paper towel over the top of the bowl, because it tends to pop). Bring it out, stir it up. Nuke it for another minute. Bring it out and stir it up again. Nuke it again 30 to 45 seconds - you decide on that based on how well it's come together on the second nuke. After the third nuke you sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese over it - I prefer cheddar or Mexican. Stick it back in the microwave. Don't cook it anymore - just let it sit in there because it's warm, for 30 seconds to a minute, and let the cheese melt.

I don't know what you would call that, but it tastes purty damn good.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Sounds like a microwaved fritatta. 

Also sounds like it doesn't take any less time than cooking it in a skillet.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

When I do scrambled eggs, I crack three eggs in a bowl, stir 'em up. Add a large spoonful of chunky salsa. Stir some more. Add some bacon bits. Cut some chunks off a smoked sausage. There is a bagged refrigerated potato product called simply potatoes. It comes in several types. I get the shredded hash browns. Drop in a small handful of the hash browns. Stir it up some more after every addition.

Nuke it for a minute (have a paper towel over the top of the bowl, because it tends to pop). Bring it out, stir it up. Nuke it for another minute. Bring it out and stir it up again. Nuke it again 30 to 45 seconds - you decide on that based on how well it's come together on the second nuke. After the third nuke you sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese over it - I prefer cheddar or Mexican. Stick it back in the microwave. Don't cook it anymore - just let it sit in there because it's warm, for 30 seconds to a minute, and let the cheese melt.

Too many steps.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Also sounds like it doesn't take any less time than cooking it in a skillet

This is true, but when the stove's on the fritz, it works pretty good.

And since you eat it out of the bowl you cook it in, that's one less dirty dish.

8 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Alpo,

They'll be fine whisked with the other two whole eggs.  I ate a lot of scrambled eggs like that when I was doing the Adkin's diet. I like a little milk blended into my scrambled eggs.

Make yourself a treat.  Add some ham and cheese and have an omelete. 

Don't forget the green chilie !!!

Archived