SASS Wire Forum

Springfield trapdoor sights

Fill Yer Hand

I just purchased a new to me springfield trapdoor cavalry model and my question is doing research I’ve discovered the military had them sighted and set up for zero at 300 yards. That being said there still has to be some way to shoot the thing at a closer target right? In shooting it this weekend the trapdoor hinge blocks the front sight from where it probably should be at 100 yards or closer. The closest marker on the ladder sight it 400. Any thought how to shoot this at a closer distance

61465A97-AC77-4F5D-A6B2-F6D3C6819354.jpeg

I shoot an 1884, and my solution is aim at the bottom of the target with the battle sights. It has served me for plainsman and the like. 

If you haven't checked it out, I would highly encourage to get a copy of the 45-70 book. https://the4570book.com/

2 minutes ago, Kid Rodelo said:

I feel like either the front sight should be taller or shim the back sight up some 

This would only be a plan if you had no intent to use this in any kind of long range side match. This is my go-to for BP single shot, and maybe even just for single shot long range.

My carbine is pretty much dead on at 200 yards with the sight bottomed.  I aim about a foot low at 100.

Mine is about 10" low at 100 yards with the sight all the way down. 

This year at our state match, there was a Trapdoor long range event - stock rifles with stock sights. I thought I'd take mine along, but never took the opportunity to shoot it further than a hundred yards. We were allowed three sighters, so I laid it across my sticks, took a guess on where to set the sight, and took my first sighter. Miss, low. I slid it up a bit further and touched off #2. Miss, low, but closer. Number three rang the largest of the three progressively smaller plates, so I stuck with that, hit seven of ten, and brought home the gold. :lol:

LongRange.jpg

10 hours ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

I shoot an 1884, and my solution is aim at the bottom of the target with the battle sights. It has served me for plainsman and the like. 

If you haven't checked it out, I would highly encourage to get a copy of the 45-70 book. https://the4570book.com/

Right ON!!!  Anyone that owns an original, or reproduction, Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 rifle or carbine, should purchase the great book, on that rifle, by J.S., and Pat Wolf. That couple spend countless hours testing, and researching that design/rifle. It can be purchased on-line, via amazon, or do a search for "Wolf's Western Traders", or perhaps another site, but it is well worth the time, and price, to obtain a copy. Mine was even autographed by Pat (J.S. passed away some years ago). The trapdoor is really a great design, an iconic American design, and piece of history. They are super fun to shoot, and this small book will help with the history, and the reloading data, that will optimize the experience.  

Since yours is a regular new  H&R cavalry carbine just change out the rear sight for a normal modern rear sight. No one will notice and it will shoot great for 100-200 yards which is plenty 

Original U.S. Army rifles and carbines generally shoot about 12-18" high at 100 yds. If the front sight blade is held in with a pin, change out the blade for a higher one made of brass.  If not, you might consider silver-soldering an extension to the top of the existing blade.  If you are shooting at paper targets, just place a second target under the main one, and aim at the lower edge of the bottom target. 

You can buy a tall blade front sight. Then file it down to reach your target goal. Do not go grinding on the gun.

I have a 50-45 rolling block carbine with the same problem. Sight was set for 200 plus yards. I bought a replacement tall blade and filed to fit 50 yards for plainsman.

A striker plate for a door latch is the right thickness and easy to install. Make it whatever height you want. My original front site is in my gun safe. If you have a Buffington rear sight the adjustment for the reading is about 75 yds difference.

kR

Archived