SASS Wire Forum

Sea level & Atmospheric Pressures vs. Accuracy

Widder, SASS #59054

10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Actually atmospheric pressure  tremendously affects accuracy at sass distances; although individual effects will vary. After what started as a minor niggle and grew to tremendous proportions I performed an intense multi-year experiment into hits vs misses. Without expounding on all of the various trials and tribulations I went through, I will give my finding and thus resulting theory.

It ain't mattered where I was or what I was a doing. I ain't never had no miss what didn't have some atmospheric pressure involved it somewhere. That there's the common denominator!

Interpretation:   Tn Williams physical existence is a Vortex.

..........Widder

I know this post is satirical in nature, but let's try a more serious look.  Just cause the topic is interesting.  Well, interesting to me.  But only to discuss over an adult libation or 3.

Does sea level and atmospheric pressures affect accuracy?  Well, no.  Of course not.  If you come down from 8000 ft in elevation to sea level, and go from low humidity to 90% (and assuming same wind conditions), well, your sights will be off.  Adjust the sights for whatever distance you're shooting and, assuming we take the shooter out of the equation, the gun will be just as accurate as it was at elevation. 

But don't confuse accuracy (does your gun shoot to POA) with precision (with a group, how tight is it).

So the answer is no.  Of course not.  At normal distances in a SASS match, it'll depend on the tolerances of the shooter as to whether or not you'll want to adjust your sights.  :ph34r::blink::wacko:

On 7/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, Still hand Bill said:

Altitude has a big effect on internal combustion engines. As the air pressure drops cylinder filling becomes less.  At 11,000 ft you lose about 50% of sea level hp.  

I believe since powder contains its own oxidizer, altitude has little to no effect on burn rate.  Air resistance is less, so shot shells should pattern a bit tighter.  Probably no real effect on bullets.  

it also effect the boiling point, so cooking takes longer.  

i think my wifes attitude has a lot to do with my accuracy - my story and sticking to it 

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

YADA YADA some other stuff….

After what started as a minor niggle

……YADA YADA some other inconsequential stuff. 

See Ole TW, if’n you’da looked in your ofishull TN Funk & Wagnulls illustrated abridged slang dictionary (the 7th edition) you’da seent the proper definition of a niggle is the afterburner affect off a solid “off gassing” of bodily exhaust after eating a plethora of nanner splits. You had a niggle whist you wuz shooting. Then dang niggles’ll getcha every time. ;):P

Kajun

15 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Actually atmospheric pressure  tremendously affects accuracy at sass distances; although individual effects will vary. After what started as a minor niggle and grew to tremendous proportions I performed an intense multi-year experiment into hits vs misses. Without expounding on all of the various trials and tribulations I went through, I will give my finding and thus resulting theory.

It ain't mattered where I was or what I was a doing. I ain't never had no miss what didn't have some atmospheric pressure involved it somewhere. That there's the common denominator!

13 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

See Ole TW, if’n you’da looked in your ofishull TN Funk & Wagnulls illustrated abridged slang dictionary (the 7th edition) you’da seent the proper definition of a niggle is the afterburner affect off a solid “off gassing” of bodily exhaust after eating a plethora of nanner splits. You had a niggle whist you wuz shooting. Then dang niggles’ll getcha every time. ;):P

Kajun

I thought that @Tennessee williams "Niggles" caused atmospheric distortion and distress to the folks around him! Stay upwind folks!

Archived