SASS Wire Forum

Saw a fascinating front sight this morning

it's about the same size as a normal ramp style sight with a gold bead sitting atop a "tunnel".  The tunnel much smaller than any I've seen before, maybe a quarter inch or even smaller.  It is, at most, half the diameter of a conventional Globe sight  The sides of the tunnel are very thin and there is no post or any other sight inside the tube.  The gold bead is right against the top of the tunnel.  Except for the rear of the bead it appears to be one piece blued iron or steel casting.  There are no markings that I can see on it.

It is on a 1902 vintage Model 94 Winchester rifle and I'd buy one for my 1920 Model 94 in a heartbeat.

Do any of you know anything about this sight, what it is for, who made it, etc.?

Might be a Marbles. Shirttail has an old Winchester 44-40 that has a similar site on it. Doesn't have the bead on top but is a thin wall circle with a gold lining. I was told by the gent we bought it from that it was an old Marbles.

kR

Sounds a bit questionable to me....

Unless you are describing a Beach front sight.

Pictures would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Sounds a bit questionable to me....

Unless you are describing a Beach front sight.

Pictures would be appreciated.

Pictures would be great but I didn't take any I don't know the guy who had it.  Much smaller than a Beech sight and it is rigid.  Nothing folds down and the tube  has nothing inside.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Did it look anything like this?

130_1.jpg

130_2.jpg

Close, but the tube was way lower, like right on top of the base, and was much thinner.....and it had that horizontal front to rear sight with a gold bead on the top.  Didn't stick up even a little above the top of the tube.

Ha!  Found it.  It IS a Marble's, called the Marble's Improved Front Sight.

I searched for Marble's vintage front rifle sights and found it.  Maybe twenty five sights down the page in an asd with three of them side by in the in the picture.  It apparently came in several sizes of aperture.

Now, about 9:30 tomorrow a.m. I'm going to a gun show (that is back) after a year and not a mile from my front door.  Maybe I can find one there and have it put on my old "dirty thirty".  

Thanks for the guidance.

Sounds like this is it.....

SL-0615-2B.jpg

Bring Palewolf in on this but the handbook reads...

Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

Maybe it falls under "Otherwise approved front sight".

Vintage ads of the sight

http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/MNOphotos/mrb33152flyerfrontsights.jpg

image.png.f8e994dd34da5b0c27233d26fd80948b.png 

http://images20.fotki.com/v681/photos/2/36012/11898451/DSC_5241-vi.jpg

Image 1 - 1915-MARBLES-RIFLE-SIGHT-CAMPING-HUNTING-SPORT-FIRE-ARM-GLADSTONE-GUN-AD-17135

Ace and Dave both win....something.

I found a comment that says this was designed so the shooter could see the bottom of his target and prevent him from aiming too low (?).

If I can find one I'll let you know how it works.

well, that was a bust.  An hour and a half to even get inside the building.  Prices were, as a rule, way to hell and gone above retail for anything.  I picked up two magazines for my Colt Government .380 at $60.00 each and only paid that because they are the first ones I've seen in fifteen yers and they are genuine Colt stainless steel mags.

I couldn't find any iron front sights at all, but I bought a new Army baseball cap because my old one is thirty five years old and ratty as can be..... it was almost the only reasonable priced thing I saw there.  Twelve bucks.  Oh, yeah, I got 100 rounds of CCI cb .22 shorts for my rat killer and my several late 1800s vintage .22 short pocket guns.  That box was almost reasonable at $7.00. I remember when it would have cost a half dollar, a quarter, and a nickel plus two cents sales tax for 100 rounds. 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

well, that was a bust.  An hour and a half to even get inside the building.  Prices were, as a rule, way to hell and gone above retail for anything.  I picked up two magazines for my Colt Government .380 at $60.00 each and only paid that because they are the first ones I've seen in fifteen yers and they are genuine Colt stainless steel mags.

I couldn't find any iron front sights at all, but I bought a new Army baseball cap because my old one is thirty five years old and ratty as can be..... it was almost the only reasonable priced thing I saw there.  Twelve bucks.  Oh, yeah, I got 100 rounds of CCI cb .22 shorts for my rat killer and mey several late 1800s vintage .22 short pocket guns.  That box was almost reasonable at $7.00. I remember when it would have cost a half dollar, a quarter, and a nickel plus two cents sales tax for 100 rounds. 

:FlagAm: Thanks brother.  Saved me a 1.5 hour drive each way tomorrow for nothing. 

Do need to come up however and enjoy some vittles with you again.

Chas B

11 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Thanks brother.  Saved me a 1.5 hour drive each way tomorrow for nothing. 

Do need to come up however and enjoy some vittles with you again.

Chas B

Say when and we'll do it.

Got a couple of places that I will guarantee will still be open.    :P

Archived