SASS Wire Forum

if you want a Gas grill get a Weber Genesis!!

Dirty Dog Doug

Even if you have to pay list price they are top of line Grill

Yes they are pricey but divide the price up over 20 years and it get cheap

She had family and friends over for housewarming party { a bring me stuff party}

Everyone looked the grill over ...just lifting the lid  you can feel that it is heavy solid grill

we did Ribeyes  burgers and salmon... cheap walmart burger where the test  lots of grease and they still cooked even all over the grill 

Even the hard core charcoal guys admitted it is nice grill " for running on Farts "

I was not paid by Weber for this post but they make top of line grill

Not trying to burst your bubble but please report back in 2 years. If you’re just as enamored then you have found a good gas grill. ;)

As for me, I haven’t found one yet that is any good after 2 years. I have tried a few. I have not tried a Weber.
I haven’t even bothered looking at another gas grill since I moved this last time. I have my Louisiana Smoker and I am planning on buying another Weber...the traditional charcoal kind. :D

I bought mine from the local hardware store back when they finally changed burner directions from East west to north south.  Found the last stainless model for 50% off pre assembled.  My wife died of embarrassment as I pushed it home 1/2 mile (no truck). Grilled steaks last night!

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not trying to burst your bubble but please report back in 2 years. If you’re just as enamored then you have found a good gas grill. ;)

As for me, I haven’t found one yet that is any good after 2 years. I have tried a few. I have not tried a Weber.
I haven’t even bothered looking at another gas grill since I moved this last time. I have my Louisiana Smoker and I am planning on buying another Weber...the traditional charcoal kind. :D

10+ here. See my post. Loving "big red" still.  Prior new grill every 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Shakes Peare said:

10+ here. See my post. Loving "big red" still.  Prior new grill every 2 years. 

That is good to know. Thank you:) 

Heck, my Char-Broil is so old, I don't recall when I got it. It has to be pushing twenty though. The electronic spark gave up the ghost some time ago. It has been blown over and even across the yard by wind and a small tornado, and I've had to "convince" some of the parts to go back into place. The cover still doesn't sit closed tight without a bit of a tug to the side. As I was cleaning it and checking it early in the year to get it ready for another season, I noticed a couple of the burner covers are on their last legs, with heat and moisture taking their toll. If I can replace them, I will. If not, it may be time for a new one.

I live in Iowa and our Weber gas grill sits outside uncovered. We have had it at least 5 years now. No problems at all. Most even heat I have ever seen on a gas grill. Expensive...yes. Worth the extra...yes.

41 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Heck, my Char-Broil is so old, I don't recall when I got it. It has to be pushing twenty though. The electronic spark gave up the ghost some time ago. It has been blown over and even across the yard by wind and a small tornado, and I've had to "convince" some of the parts to go back into place. The cover still doesn't sit closed tight without a bit of a tug to the side. As I was cleaning it and checking it early in the year to get it ready for another season, I noticed a couple of the burner covers are on their last legs, with heat and moisture taking their toll. If I can replace them, I will. If not, it may be time for a new one.

It's odd that you mentioned a small tornado and a Char-Broil. My grill is a Char-Broil 8000 Series  that is at least 20 years old. It was blown across the yard by a tornado once and blown over several times by thunderstorms. I've changed the burner 4 or 5 times, the grate once and the tires once. I've always kept a cover on it (stored outside) and always clean the grate/spray it with Pam before storage. My gal found some burner replacement kits some time ago at a garage sale so I have been replacing them as needed. I have one more replacement kit left so after that is gone, I'll replace the grill.

We've been through many gas grills.  Even though our grills have always been under cover, the burner elements always seemed to have rotted out (even stainless and cast iron burners).  Four years ago I bought a Weber gas grill and it is still running like a champ.  My only complaint is that the electronic ignition quick working after a year.

The Weber's longevity, in my case, my also be do to the fact that I no longer put salt on anything that's cooking on the grill.  I've determined that the salt has been a big factor in destroying my burner elements on my previous gas grills. 

I've always been a big fan of cooking shows featuring Chef Ramsey.  After watching several of his YouTube videos on how to cook a perfect steak, I use a cast iron pan on the stove top (I do finish up the steak in the oven for those family members who want their meat more done).  Using the cast iron pan, I can get nice color on the steak and I can season the meat to my heart's content.  Salt, pepper, thyme, and a little butter at the end, make for perfect seasoning.  My family won't let me cook steak any other way now.  If you haven't tried a steak in cast iron, I urge you to try it.  You won't be disappointed and there is no shame in watching a YouTube video for pointers.

I still use the gas grill a lot for chicken and burgers.  For chicken and large chunks of other meat, I like to put the meat on one side of the grill with the burner underneath off.  The burner on the opposite side provides enough heat for a nice slow cook.   

I am still using a weber kettle bought in 1974

but in the SF Bay area we have spare the air days .. no burning anything 

the cover and I grill thing are coming today 

they have temp probe thing that will call your PHONE when your food is done

this grill is owned by a young lady who is OCD neat!!

it will be brushed clean and oiled before being covered 

Our Weber G is four years old and still works great.

The flame spreaders and internals need de-greasing in the Spring. Grates need cleaning with a wire brush every week.  

We have a Viking (the people who make the fancy stoves) gas grill. Bought it 25 years ago. Sits outside year round. Rain, snow, wind, hot , cold. etc. Still works perfect. Only thing replaced is the  little pizeo lighters.  Buy once, cry once.

Archived