SASS Wire Forum

CA Covid Curfew

23 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

No worse than H1N1? Maybe, depending on how one interprets the stats. I still don't want H1N1.

As a matter of perspective, during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, CDC estimated that there were 60.8 million cases in the U. S. (range: 43.3 - 89.3 million cases).  Of those, there were 12,469 deaths recorded.

To date (roughly nine months into the Covid pandemic) in the U. S. we have roughly 12.2 million cases reported and just shy of 260 thousand deaths.  Or, for 1/5 the number of reported cases, approximately 20 times the number of deaths compared to the 2009 bout of H1N1.

This may not be your grandfather's flu... but it sure as heck might be close to being your great-grandfather's flu - the 1918 pandemic, which killed an estimated 675,000 Americans.

Are we certain that they use the exact same information and guidelines for current and historical pandemics when it comes to deciding which deaths to attribute to the specific virus for each period? By changing what weight to assign to each factor (overweight, age, heart problems, other medical conditions, etc.) you can come up with all kinds of statistics.

Here's the deal:  Many, if not most of the fatalities had "underlying conditions," have lived with them for years, and most likely would have continued to live with them had they not contracted COVID.

Placing the blame on those conditions is like saying "Hey!  Ol' Bob had diabetes!  He woulda died sooner or later anyway, so ya can't blame that bus that ran over 'im!"

Of course Hardpan. But the question remains. Are they consistent when reporting deaths from past pandemics. For example someone whose been diagnosed with 6 months to live from cancer or has some other health condition. Would this person if he dies after being diagnosed with covid or past seasonal flus or bigger pandemics always be attributed to whatever virus was occuring at the time? Do we think these statistics are impossible to manipulate? 

Population of the USA in 1918 - 103,208,000

Estimated dead from Spanish Flu in 1918 USA - 675,000

Population today 331,000,000 not including illegal aliens, I’m sure. 
Estimated dead from CoVid in the USA - 253,000

1918 - 1 out of every 152 people died from Spanish Flu

2029 - 1 out of every 1,308 people died from CoVid

Numbers tell the story if the numbers are correct. 

I would say the sky was falling in 1918 to some in this country. I don’t think the sky is falling in 2020, but this may be due to education, science and technology and some quick thinking on the part of the medical establishment and some of our civic leaders. 

it is pretty much a joke  soo many loop holes to get food , going to a pot store . doing your French Laundry oh and Protest are allowed 

judge in san diego  ruled pole dancing club can stay open  while couple dance clubs and churches  can not

as I read rules for other state we are not the most insane 

Ohio wear a mask in your house???

I do like the people wearing  mask driiving  alone with top down 

I am not anti mask  wear one right when needed 

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

To date (roughly nine months into the Covid pandemic) in the U. S. we have roughly 12.2 million cases reported

I think that number of cases is number of positive tests.  If so, then a person who tests positive, is checked three days later and still tests positive counts as 2 positives.  Test that person three days after that and tests positive, then that person has been counted 3 times.

On 11/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I think that number of cases is number of positive tests.  If so, then a person who tests positive, is checked three days later and still tests positive counts as 2 positives.  Test that person three days after that and tests positive, then that person has been counted 3 times.

When I got sick with covid-19 I went down to a drive thru testing kiosk at the hospital and got tested. This was on Friday July 3rd. I went home and went to bed because I didn’t feel well and all of the symptoms said covid-19. Sunday afternoon, July 5th I got an email that my test swab had been lost and I needed to be retested. Monday July 6th my wife and I both go back to be retested. The ER doctor, who examined me while we waited to be tested, told me that he was 99% sure I had it. We got tested and went home and not long after I got an email that I was positive, my wife was negative. Nearly 3 weeks later I got an email from the hospital that my July 3rd test was positive and I needed to stay at home for 14 days after the last symptoms. I was way over it and back to normal routines by then. My wife has been tested 3 times and has never had it.

wear your mask when robbing whatever target you desire - it reduces the cleanup when they shoot you 

ifr this had worked the first time i might buy it , im of a mind to let it run its course like we have all the others over the years and during the democrat eras - i do think these mandates are going too far [we are a free people after all ] dont tell me my government can take that away , 

Archived