SASS Wire Forum

New pc color

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

im still shooting lead , when did the color of the bullet become an important thing ? not trying to agitate , just asking as ive seen a lot on this in the past year - i have seen a bunch as well in use , what us the advantage ? explain me please 

The color is also the lubricant. Might as well be creative if it isn't any more work.

The coating cuts way down on handling lead which is very unhealthy. It also seems to serve as a kind of lube.

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

im still shooting lead , when did the color of the bullet become an important thing ? not trying to agitate , just asking as ive seen a lot on this in the past year - i have seen a bunch as well in use , what us the advantage ? explain me please 

you bring up a VERY good point.

as mentioned the PC replaces the lube--here in the Deep South that lube can melt inside the cartridges depending on where they are stored (garage for me)

Some of our local indoor ranges won't all lead bullets but PC bullets are OK.

Along with the above I like to mess around with mixing the powders as I powder coat--does it make me go faster?  NO

does it keep me from missing?  NO

I like to do it and that's good enough for me.  It was something else to try when I retired and allowed me to get a few more "toys" to make the process work.

I shared this new color 'cause I know others PC, too.

didn't see your post as agitating

p.s. another shot of them loaded up

p1010006.jpg

Now this is a neat idea, Cheyenne!  I can see a big benefit in helping to differentiate between bp or smokeless rounds, or rounds that look similar such as .44-40 vs .45LC.  I like this.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I can see a big benefit in helping to differentiate between bp or smokeless rounds, or rounds that look similar such as .44-40 vs .45LC.

That is a heckuva good idea!  Sure beats coloring primers with sharpie markers.

But then again, future shooters will miss the shock and embarrassment of seeing the reverse necked shell of the 44mag (cowboy load) that they just shot out of their 45 LC Old Model Vaquero.  Was that too specific?  I never ever done that.... :blush:

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

I use the different colors to differentiate between loads. One color for APP and a different color for smokeless. 

color coding is great but . . . 

somewhere along the line I ended up with a bunch of leftover powder--just tossed all in same jar--got the world's worst color--something that reminds you of a sick baby's #2.

Been trying to use it up for over a year and seems to just keep growing in the jar.  Hope to finish it up in 2020.

"....didn't see your post as agitating..." 

thank you , i appreciate that , it was not intended to be but often on the net a simple question can result in less agreeable results - i chose to be safe up front , 

that said im getting a new perspective and appreciate all the great info , not really ready to go to the 'colored' bullets yet but at least i now know the philosophy behind it and can appreciate the reasoning behind it , there are so many new innovations out there that we all need to get a grasp on , i really appreciate all the terrific info received here , im going to keep this in mind when i run out of what i have stocked , 

ive mentioned before that im not as lead shy as many here , i grew up casting lead soldiers and have fished with lead regularly , i also load regularly albeit a couple times a year with lead bullets , but im not unaware of the proper handling and such but i also am beginning to be more aware of the care many here suggested , have started with some new protocols in my tumbling and loading to mitigate the exposure , 

nice to know this is available and why , thank you all that have responded , 

as far as equipment needed:

use a $20, new, toaster oven, a #5 recycle label plastic container to powder coast the bullets and my push through Lee sizing die + a colander to separate the powder from the coated bullets.  

really is one of the cheaper off-shoots of casting

Onondaga County now recycling No. 5 plastic - syracuse.com

Archived