SASS Wire Forum

Load data for old Du Pont powder?

Flaco Joe

I have an 8 pound container of an older Du Pont gun powder. They stopped making powder back in 1975.  The numbers on the can are:

P76JU04B

Does anyone know where I can find valid reloading data for this powder? It is still sealed, so it might be good.  If I can’t reload it, I’ll just spread it around the garden.

Thanks

If 6300 is the powder number (and I'm guessing it is - the other is a lot number that may mean the powder was produced in June 1976), that would make this a factory-specific order of a non-cannister propellant (meaning not a powder available commercially to reloaders).  The lack of DuPont's normal can labels supports this assumption.  I looked at manuals from the late 1930s and 40s, and my manuals from when I started loading in 1972 - nothing like a DuPont 6300 was found.

IF this was a custom batch, even at the time the powder was produced, there would have been no loading data distributed to the public - the factory would have built loads from scratch with lots of pressure and velocity testing.   With 30 or 40 years having gone by,  even less chance someone can turn up good data.   

I'd venture the stuff will make GREAT lawn fertilizer, though.    A 50 year old powder would be somewhat suspect anyway due to it's age, but with no data, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ.  I was starting to suspect this was going to end up as fertilizer.  I appreciate the info.

Yup, to clarify, probably a Bulk powder versus our more common canister powder we use.

As others have mentioned, canister powders are closely match from batch to batch to be used by home re loaders and have fairly consistent results - although they can legally vary by I think 15%.  But they usually are much closer to 5%.

Bulk powders are made in larger batches - normally with a specific caliber in mind.  The company then calculates and establishes what the specific load should be for that batch.  Then it is sold to folks such as those with military contracts for that caliber.

I have seen such powder sold in 8 pound cans with the specifics staged - either on the can or with separate documentation.

http://www.firearmtutorials.com/index.php/reloading/canister-vs-non-canister-powder

You know, looking at those old manual covers rings a bell.   I loaded DuPont powders (IMR 4198, 3031, 4064, 4895 mostly) back in 1972-1980, from those paper pamphlet manuals.   I believe I would have remembered a powder number 6300 from combing through those manuals.  I suspect very strongly that's a non-canister powder, and that loading data for it was never placed in publications available to reloaders - like these manuals.   I think you would be wasting $7 buying one of those old manuals.   Unless you just love reading some PB or 4756 shotgun data that is hard to find today.

JMHO, GJ

Thanks for the information everyone.  I learned a lot about my lawn fertilizer today! :)

Archived