SASS Wire Forum

The evening before Desert Storm

Some genius in Washington thought it would be a good idea to have the latest version of the software on the computers of Air Transport Service that was doing all the logistics.  Fortunately I was on vacation and another guy was called in to handle it.

They’re called “Bureaucrats”...or idiots. Name’s interchangeable. They’re everywhere. Kind of like Rednecks only not as entertaining. 

Speaking of bureaucrats. How do I find out who came up with auto-correct? Grrrr...:angry:

One of my friends was in the Air Force that  night and near a runway in Saudi Arabia. He told me all the fighters at their base were taking off in groups of four.  They were loaded down with bombs and using their afterburners to get off the ground.  They would add fuel when airborne from tankers!  Most of their weight at liftoff was bombs not gas.  Anyway he told me he had never heard anything like that night  before or after.

I heard some scuttlebutt (I THINK it was Paul Harvey, but not sure) that the CIA spooks got ahold of some of Iraq's computer hardware and installed a virus, when the attack came and they lit up the fire control system, it shut the whole system down and they were firing blind. Like I say, it was scuttlebutt, don't know if it's true, but they sure didn't hit much that night.

JHC

37 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I heard some scuttlebutt (I THINK it was Paul Harvey, but not sure) that the CIA spooks got ahold of some of Iraq's computer hardware and installed a virus, when the attack came and they lit up the fire control system, it shut the whole system down and they were firing blind. Like I say, it was scuttlebutt, don't know if it's true, but they sure didn't hit much that night.

JHC

That night was also some of the final Wild Weasel missions of the Air Force’s F-4s. Knocking out radar sites ahead of the main aerial onslaught. 

I was in Colorado Springs at that time.
All system changes were locked down for weeks before every satellite launch for rigorous regression testing.
I am SO surprised that any changes were allowed on such short order.

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Yes. That's true.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

I was in Colorado Springs at that time.
All system changes were locked down for weeks before every satellite launch for rigorous regression testing.
I am SO surprised that any changes were allowed on such short order.

Anybody know what he said?? :lol::D

The Air Force was VERY strict about locking down all systems several weeks before a satellite launch.
You had to stand in front of the full bull and build a VERY persuasive case if an emergency change was needed.
99 out of 100 time you were refused.

Regression testing is a detailed testing plan.
It does in-depth tests of all system functions, and all variations and exceptions.
It is exhausting and comprehensive.
It also takes a whole of time.

Archived