SASS Wire Forum

Okay maybe a stupid question but can a brown leather rig be dyed black and will it stay black?

I'm not going to do it myself, I'll bring it to a professional, any here??

Yes, it can be done.  The first step is to remove the leather finish to accept the new dye.  I would recommend Fiebing's deglazer for this job.  Use Fiebing's professional oil dye to dye it black and then finish with Fiebing's TanKote.

You could experience a little "bleeding" from the dye.  That is why I normally don't dye the backside of gun belts that I make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my leather dies, it usually turns kinda white ... A little bit of green too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Yes, it can be done.  The first step is to remove the leather finish to accept the new dye.  I would recommend Fiebing's deglazer for this job.  Use Fiebing's professional oil dye to dye it black and then finish with Fiebing's TanKote.

You could experience a little "bleeding" from the dye.  That is why I normally don't dye the backside of gun belts that I make.

^ This.  Did it to a shotgun belt years ago and it's still as black as Phantom's heart. :lol:

• Haha 3

Just now, Shooting Bull said:

^ This.  Did it to a shotgun belt years ago and it's still as black as Phantom's heart. :lol:

Jet black.

• Haha 2

+1 to TN Mongos post.Clean and de-glaze first.To assure that you get even coverage and a really deep black,use a coat of dark blue before applying the black dye.Gives it extra depth of color.

Choctaw Jack 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay maybe a stupid question but can a brown leather rig be dyed black and will it stay black?

I'm not going to do it myself, I'll bring it to a professional, any here??

Ask Rowdy Red at Tusco.

• Thanks 1

Heard how good the Fiebing stuff as well. One local guy used their dye for his shotgun.

Beacon,

I have used Fiebing's leather dyes to help match colors when staining rifle stocks to match Uberti colors. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I would recommend Fiebing's deglazer for this job.  Use Fiebing's professional oil dye to dye it black and then finish with Fiebing's TanKote.

None of which can be shipped to California, due to VOC prohibitions.
I have a brother-in-law in Dallas...

Hey @Rye Miles #13621 The boots you see me wear all the time. They were brown when I got them. What TN Mongo said is probably the best route to go. but i'm cheap and elbow grease is free. anyway, stiff bristled nylon brush and shaving cream will break down most dyes. It may take a few times to get it fully stripped but it works. Oh yeah the shotgun slide I use was brown when I got it too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Hey @Rye Miles #13621 The boots you see me wear all the time. They were brown when I got them. What TN Mongo said is probably the best route to go. but i'm cheap and elbow grease is free. anyway, stiff bristled nylon brush and shaving cream will break down most dyes. It may take a few times to get it fully stripped but it works. Oh yeah the shotgun slide I use was brown when I got it too. 

That's a cheap alternative. May try it someday.