SASS Wire Forum

reversing triggers on Stoeger shotguns

Silver Creek Jack

Good Independence Day everyone! A week or so ago there was a post on reversing triggers on stoeger  shotguns and  it was mentioned that someone had put up a tutorial in the Cowboy Chronicle, I would like to see if I can find that article if you could direct me to it, thanks-  SCJ

It's really a solution looking for a problem. That being said, I've had it done on both my SxS's.

Howdy SJC. I've done the swap on a Stoeger exactly like the one shown in the Chronicle articles. Take a good look at Larsen's pics and you'll see each trigger has its own channel. When the swap is complete, the left to right offset of the triggers remains about the same and of course, the front to back positions are reversed. It turned out well and was glad I made the swap.

However, my newer Stoeger Coach gun shown below has only one channel and the original L to R offset of the triggers was achieved by the way they're shaped. After grinding and swapping them them however, the left to right offset became almost non-existent. That is, it's now more of tandem arrangement where the front trigger is almost directly in front of the rear instead of offset to the left.  I found it a lot of work for not much benefit.

Just thought I'd share my experience before you tackle the job. If yours is like the one in the article, go for it. If it's like mine you might want to think about. 

As always, YMMV. Good luck!

X7bOBMv.jpg

gDnFkrg.jpg

Of the 5 shotguns I use at various times (distance related) for cowboy action, only one came with the triggers reversed.  After some 33+ years of shooting Stoegers with triggers aligned as they were at the factory... I was flummoxed by the change.  Couldn't find the front trigger!  Swapped 'em back on that gun and haven't looked back.  With all the other areas in which to gain speed, this one is simply superfluous, IMO.  'Sides, that little jiggle of the trigger finger lets me move between targets seamlessly.  Getting that second shot off faster would have me missing more of those twofers!

12 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Howdy SJC. I've done the swap on a Stoeger exactly like the one shown in the Chronicle articles. Take a good look at Larsen's pics and you'll see each trigger has its own channel. When the swap is complete, the left to right offset of the triggers remains about the same and of course, the front to back positions are reversed. It turned out well and was glad I made the swap.

However, my newer Stoeger Coach gun shown below has only one channel and the original L to R offset of the triggers was achieved by the way they're shaped. After grinding and swapping them them however, the left to right offset became almost non-existent. That is, it's now more of tandem arrangement where the front trigger is almost directly in front of the rear instead of offset to the left.  I found it a lot of work for not much benefit.

Just thought I'd share my experience before you tackle the job. If yours is like the one in the article, go for it. If it's like mine you might want to think about. 

As always, YMMV. Good luck!

X7bOBMv.jpg

gDnFkrg.jpg

Thanks Abilene, yup  both of my shotguns triggers are in the same channel like the one you have, your right I don't see much if any benefit, think I will pass on this mod! Thanks for taking the time to post. See ya down the trail!     SCJ

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Of the 5 shotguns I use at various times (distance related) for cowboy action, only one came with the triggers reversed.  After some 33+ years of shooting Stoegers with triggers aligned as they were at the factory... I was flummoxed by the change.  Couldn't find the front trigger!  Swapped 'em back on that gun and haven't looked back.  With all the other areas in which to gain speed, this one is simply superfluous, IMO.  'Sides, that little jiggle of the trigger finger lets me move between targets seamlessly.  Getting that second shot off faster would have me missing more of those twofers!

Good advice Griff and much appreciated! Take care-  SCJ

I can pull stock triggers quick enough to miss,, why change em?

A club I regularly shoot at has poppers instead of knockdown SG targets. They frequently have a stage where you hit each target twice, double taps allowed. I can sweep the triggers on my reversed Baikail pretty quickly, sounds like one shot. It’s fun to listen to the single Trigger guys complain, and the 97 shooters really complain :D

i like the reversed triggers. Just feels more natural to me. 

I've reversed (Switched) the triggers on most of my Hammer Doubles.  Most of them, the triggers are close enough to being "in line" there was no real benefit.  I will share however, when doing "Switch Trigger" on a Stoeger, if you don't clearance the new "front" trigger yule find out real quick just how fast you can shoot both barrels  :wacko:     Don't ask how I know this FACT  :ph34r:

Archived