SASS Wire Forum

Not to hijack the soccer thread, but sports fandom?

Utah Bob mentioned that you don't see riots at a baseball game. My question is could somebody PLEASE explain why sports fans get so worked up about their teams? 

I've mentioned before that I have NO interest in sports, so I can't understand it. I grew up in Columbus Ohio having OSU football rammed down my throat. I remember the OSU vs MSU riots of the 70s. It didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. 

Anybody? And I'm NOT taking "You have to be a fan to understand" as an answer.

I think you’d need to ask a psychologist.

I think UB is right, ultimately, you would need to ask a psychologist. If I were to surmise, though, it is at least in part due to the fact that fans (which I believe is derived from the word fanatic, and rightfully so) have come to wrap their own identity up in their team of choice. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio also, and yes, OSU football is as close to religion as some people in Ohio get. If you identify so strongly with a team, even if you didn't go to that college, or aren't from the town where the team hails from, you are likely to feel as though their win is your win, and their loss, yours. How many OSU fans did you hear refer to "we" in speaking about the team, even if they never went to Ohio State? Oh, I'm sorry, The Ohio State University?

WE WON! WE WON!

No you didn't! The team won and you watched after paying outlandish amounts for the "privilege."

I stopped watching pro sports in 1970 after I got home from 'Nam, where I was taking home right at a grand a month counting all my bennies.  I was teaching a 6th grade class for $331.30 a month when some jackass named Vida Blue refused to go to spring training because they would n't pay him some exorbitant amount of money to play a kids' game.

After all this time my opinion hasn't changed a bit.

Archived