SASS Wire Forum

Vote for Gomer or Barney for biggest f*** up

We don't get out much anymore. DW and I are watching Gomer Pyle and Andy Griffith Show. So who is your vote for the the biggest f.........foul up? Gomer Pyle or Barney Fife? I'd have to vote for Barney since he seems a BIT more likely to poke his nose into Andy's business. Barney by 10%.

JHC

Barney is comical, annoying and a screw up but comical. 

Gomer is just a plain ol’ f-up.

I’ll go with Gomer by at least 50% over Barney.

Gomer did become a Marine. Barney was still a f”$&#@up.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can compete with Barney for his acting skills, not only as a 

screw up, clumsy clown but also his acting in sentimental situations.  Remember his crying scene

when he and Andy were talking about Otis drowning.

He was a silver tongue charmer to Thelma Lou.

He was one of the best debaters of many topics from how David got the rubber to make his slingshot to

bird language expert.   He could argue with Andy over some folks being a 'Jinks'  and other

superstitious stuff.    He was a true believer in Count Es Vondelicie.

And lets not forget his antics of singing and expertise with Judo.

And his knowledge of the English language is unsurpassed with words like:

Patula Oblengatta

Cowlsip Deposits of the knee

Extra Sensitive Perception

HEEliocopter

Electronal

Smith Brothers Institution (Smithsonian Museum)

Compelshun

Kleptominerac

Therapetic

Comicalness

Sess La Vee

Kay Sari Sari

Nave  (naive)

Sigmund Frood

Avaricious

EinstEEn

Inarculated

FuhSishus

(Barnard Milton Fife   and Barney P. Fife)

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can compete with Barney for his acting skills, not only as a 

screw up, clumsy clown but also his acting in sentimental situations.  Remember his crying scene

when he and Andy were talking about Otis drowning.

He was a silver tongue charmer to Thelma Lou.

He was one of the best debaters of many topics from how David got the rubber to make his slingshot to

bird language expert.   He could argue with Andy over some folks being a 'Jinks'  and other

superstitious stuff.    He was a true believer in Count Es Vondelicie.

And lets not forget his antics of singing and expertise with Judo.

And his knowledge of the English language is unsurpassed with words like:

Patula Oblengatta

Cowlsip Deposits of the knee

Extra Sensitive Perception

HEEliocopter

Electronal

Smith Brothers Institution (Smithsonian Museum)

Compelshun

Kleptominerac

Therapetic

Comicalness

Sess La Vee

Kay Sari Sari

Nave  (naive)

Sigmund Frood

Avaricious

EinstEEn

Inarculated

FuhSishus

(Barnard Milton Fife   and Barney P. Fife)

..........Widder

And the absolute best sobriety test I've ever witnessed.

18 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Gomer was such a screwup that in the five years the show ran, nobody dared to even mention sending him to Nam.

He also didn't get promoted until 20 years AFTER he got out of the Marines.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

After 37 years, fictional Pfc. Gomer Pyle has achieved the promotion to lance corporal that eluded him during five years in the Marine Corps on the popular television sitcom in the 1960s.

and 6 more to make corporal.

ONOLULU -- 

Jim Nabors, perhaps best known as his loveable, often-bumbling character Gomer Pyle from the hit CBS television show “Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.,” was promoted to Honorary Corporal in a sunset ceremony held at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki Sept. 25.

Nabors was made an Honorary Marine and promoted to Honorary Lance Corporal Aug. 9, 2001 by then-Commandant Gen. James Jones, after nearly 38 years as a private first class.

Nabors said he never expected to be promoted again after lance corporal.

“I was surprised about the first one,” Nabors said. “Gen. [James L.] Jones asked me one day how long I had been a PFC and I told him,'Sir, I still am.'”

Nabors was selected for promotion based on his outstanding contributions to the Marine Corps and the United States.

“Today we take pride in honoring a great American,” said Lt. Gen. John F. Goodman, Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific. “He truly embodies what’s best about the Marine Corps and what our Marines represent.”

Gen. Goodman discussed the idea of this promotion with the Commandant, who gave his approval. The ceremony was held on the 43rd anniversary of the debut of"Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." on national television.

“Well, Gol-ly!” was Nabors'response after Gen. Goodman pinned on his new rank.

To be named an Honorary Marine is a rare thing. Some of the more notable Honorary Marines include: Joe Rosenthal, photographer of the second flag raising over Iwo Jima; Lon Chaney and Chuck Norris.

As rare as it is to be selected as an Honorary Marine, it is even rarer still for one to be promoted.

In his remarks, Gen. Goodman talked about how corporal is such a significant rank in the Corps, being the first echelon of leadership in the Marine rank structure. As a noncommissioned officer, a Marine corporal has a tremendous amount of responsibility to his Marines, on- and off-duty.

Nabors'status as an Honorary Corporal was not earned easily. He has spent an entire life dedicated to the service and positive influence of others. Whether from his years as an American TV icon or a performer around the world, he has been an example of those traits the Marine Corps holds in high regard.

It was those exceptional leadership traits of honor, honesty and devotion that merited Nabors promotion to this rank, according to Gen. Goodman.

“Gomer Pyle taught us that an honest person who is determined to do the right thing will always end up in the right place,” Gen. Goodman said.

Nabors was also presented with some gifts to mark the occasion, but one stood out among the rest.

Nabors was presented with an NCO sword, the oldest U.S. military weapon still in use today. Marine NCOs are the only NCOs authorized to carry a sword.

“Who better to deserve this honor than Jim,” said Gen. Goodman. “Gomer Pyle taught the American people that Marines are people and that they have a sense of humor, in spite of what they go through. I think that brought the Marine Corps closer to the people than any other movie or TV show.”

“I cannot think of a better group to be a part of,” Nabors said. “Its something you take with you the rest of your life.”

Danny Kaleikini, Hawaii's"Ambassador of Aloha," was one of many distinguished guests from the local Hawaii community to share in the evening's festivities.

“He came to Hawaii and became a Hawaiian and did so much for the Hawaii people. For that I am so very thankful,” said Kaleikini, who has been an entertainer here for more than 30 years. “He takes the spirit of aloha with him all over the world.”

Humbly, Nabors had very few things to say about himself. He spent most of his time remarking about how grateful he was to the Marines, and what they do for the people of this country.

“Thank you just is not good enough for what these men and women do. I am glad to be a part of what they stand for,” he said. “I am honored to meet any Marine.”

So what’s next for Nabors? Does sergeant loom in the distance?

“Well it took me 38 years to get to lance corporal, but only six to get to corporal,” he said. “I guess I’m on the fast track now.”

A few years ago at EOT they used to have the SEA Cadets from the Bataan Academy in Albuquerque help out at the event. They’d pick and clean brass, do lots of the heavy lifting and help out wherever required and one or two would always be stationed up at the gate with me. The first year they were there I started referring to my helpers there at the gate as Private Pyle and about 90% over the years had absolutely no idea who Private Pyle was so I embellished his Marine Corps service record a little bit and those cadets ate it up. Id tell them to go down to the video store and rent the final episode of Private Pyle USMC, that’s the one where he was awarded the MOH. Well most of them wouldn’t bother but a few of them took me up on it and the next morning they’d tell me the story about going to the video store looking for that DVD and the clerk or manager would break the news to them that Private Pyle never got the MOH and they then knew they’d been had.

Archived