SASS Wire Forum

Mid Century Modern Furniture-Need Advice

Calamity Kris

My parents collected a house full of mid-century modern Danish furniture.  Most of it solid teak or walnut.  It is all in excellent condition, since the three of us weren't allowed to touch it.  Now that dad has passed, we need to sell the furniture, but how?  If we list it on EPrey, we would have to ship it someplace and that would be costly.  If we were to hold an estate sale, we would have to find a way to notify potential buyers.  We have seen retail prices into the thousands of dollars for knock-offs of some of the items we own.  We don't know how to get the word out.  I have done Google searches but have come up empty on resellers in the LA area.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Examples: 

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/collections/living-room/products/onecollection-finn-juhl-pelican-table

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/collections/living-room/products/wegner-ch825-credenza

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/collections/living-room/products/onecollection-finn-juhl-45-chair

There are companies that specialize in estate sales.  They will come to your place and give you a price to purchase everything you have and then they will hold the estate sale themselves.  A friend of mine did that after her mother passed away.  She said that she couldn't believe how easy it actually was.  Her and her father took out everything they wanted and a company came in and basically paid them for everything else.  They even hauled away all the stuff they couldn't sell.  My friend said it was a pretty hands-free deal.  They did next to nothing and emptied a whole house of everything from bric-a-brac to large furniture items and  appliances.  Her only caution was to make sure that you have everything you want out of the place--there is no going back.  From what I understand, you can't even go in during the sale itself.

You might consider an auction house that specializes in fine furniture, Abell,  I believe serves the L.A. area. The type of furniture you’ve described and posted links to is very much in demand these days. I’d be interested in seeing pictures of the entire collection. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

There are companies that specialize in estate sales.  They will come to your place and give you a price to purchase everything you have and then they will hold the estate sale themselves.  A friend of mine did that after her mother passed away.  She said that she couldn't believe how easy it actually was.  Her and her father took out everything they wanted and a company came in and basically paid them for everything else.  They even hauled away all the stuff they couldn't sell.  My friend said it was a pretty hands-free deal.  They did next to nothing and emptied a whole house of everything from bric-a-brac to large furniture items and  appliances.  Her only caution was to make sure that you have everything you want out of the place--there is no going back.  From what I understand, you can't even go in during the sale itself.

Yep, they charge you a 50% sales commission then haul away everything that didn't sell to their shop where they don't have to share the $ with you when they sell it.

They do make things easy, but you pay for that convenience.  The place that did my dad's estate sale wanted to charge an additional $300 to haul away the leftovers.  I said I'd take care of anything left over myself.  That fee disappeared.

Ooops, rereading the OP it appears the companies you're talking about buy everything from you for one price, then sell it for themselves with all sales money staying with them.  That's a little different.  OK if you are satisfied with their buyout offer.

Angus

29 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Yep, they charge you a 50% sales commission then haul away everything that didn't sell to their shop where they don't have to share the $ with you when they sell it.

They do make things easy, but you pay for that convenience.  The place that did my dad's estate sale wanted to charge an additional $300 to haul away the leftovers.  I said I'd take care of anything left over myself.  That fee disappeared.

Ooops, rereading the OP it appears the companies you're talking about buy everything from you for one price, then sell it for themselves with all sales money staying with them.  That's a little different.  OK if you are satisfied with their buyout offer.

Angus

You are correct on both counts.  I've never done it myself--although, I probably should have at least considered it in part after my wife passed away (they say your experiences make you smarter!!!)--but can only relate what my friend and her father have told me of their experience.  They were very happy with the process and the pricing that they were given for the entire house-full of her mother's things.  And it all got handled in one fell swoop, rather than them trying to sell/dispose of piecemeal.

The other logistical issue is your not allow to touch the furniture.

My friend had a sale to sell off much of her mother’s stuff after mother and sister died. It was in one of those cities east of LA and west of Ontario airport.  All day people showed up wanting a $50 item that was priced at $5 for 25¢.  She would have done better calling the Salvation Army and saying come and get it.

find someone who will give you a bulk offer.

I'm back to suggesting finding a reputable auction house/reseller.  They will take care of the advertising, finding buyers, selling, all of the little nasty details.  DO NOT be afraid to negotiate the percentage.  In many instances, the bidders pay a "Buyers Premium" which becomes the auction house's take.  That 50% stuff is RIP OFF. 

Thanks for the info.  We don't want to go the estate auction route because we will only get pennies on the dollar of the furniture's value.  We know a market for it exists.   We need to find it.

17 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for the info.  We don't want to go the estate auction route because we will only get pennies on the dollar of the furniture's value.  We know a market for it exists.   We need to find it.

The estate auctions are a lot different than the auctions that I referred to that specialize in fine furniture and art. The auctions that I refer to will charge a sellers premium probably around 25-30% and then they charge a buyers premium about the same, that’s where they make their money. So if you sold a piece for $2,000.00 you would see about $1,500.00 net and that’s not that bad considering they are doing all of the work.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:17 AM, Yul Lose said:

You might consider an auction house that specializes in fine furniture, Abell,  I believe serves the L.A. area. The type of furniture you’ve described and posted links to is very much in demand these days. I’d be interested in seeing pictures of the entire collection. Good luck.

I sent my brother the info.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks for the help.  As soon as he has time, he'll get some pictures.

Archived