SASS Wire Forum

China Camp, a True Champion

Goody, SASS #26190

Somebody posted a note on Facebook about today being 10 years since he rode off into that great sunset. They also put a link to an interview that he did in 2006. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, and it was certainly my loss. Anyway, here's that interview so those that were fortunate enough to have known the man can share some memories of him, and those that never met can maybe get to know a true champion.

Thank you for this.  I was privileged to meet him at a monthly match in Norco in 2003 when my job took me to California for a month.  I’m sure others who knew him better will comment, but shaking his hand was the highlight of my trip.

We are diminished by his passing.

I met him just before he passed up at a Cowboys match in Norco, what a great ambassador for our sport and SASS. A finer gentleman you’ll never meet and his wife and daughter are cut from the same cloth. Prairie Weet still shoots up at Cajon occasionally and we visit about grand kids, she has a couple of them now. Sweetwater, the daughter has quite a little family. CAS truly lost a champion in more ways than one when China Camp left us.

Such a fine man. My wife and I had the privilege to meet him and his family at our first EOT in 2007. They all took the time to talk with us while we were all eating dinner at the little Chinese restaurant in Edgewood.  I was so sorry to see that he had passed before I got to see him again.

Great ambassador for this game we play.

I was blessed to have him as a friend...a mentor.

Believe it or not, I think of him all the time...particularly at "Big" matches. I hear him telling me "Smooth is Fast, Quick is Slow"...it's like a Ballroom dance...

True champ...wonderful father and husband...and a true friend.

Phantom

I was the Match Director the first time Dennis and his family attended the John Wayne Shoot-Out. He pulled me aside and gave me some great words of encouragement. We had our photo taken together. At the awards banquet I mentioned it and he informed everyone that I owed him 2 dollars for the photo.

Fillmore

I was new to SASS and didn't know China Camp until my first big match.  He took pity on a GNUBY and let me practice with he and his ladies.  John Wayne as JB Books had a quote that "A mans gotta have a code to live by". Dennis' code was dignity above all.  He is missed.

Thank you for introducing me to China Camp.  The video means so much.  What a great champion!!!!  I will show it to my kids.  Our prayers are with him and his family.

China Camp was my TO at an early Wild Bunch match.  He was incredibly polite and capable in that role.  I didn't know Sweetwater had a family.  I'm pleased she is doing well.

Archived