SASS Wire Forum

Front pistol sights

Caddo Kid

I don't think so ? 

But not positive. 

Rooster 

Nope!

Alternative Ivory col.849/TM is special cast polyester with the characteristics of real ivory. ... Our Alternative Ivory sheets, bars and rods all have a natural ivory grain pattern. ... Alternative Ivory is suitable for machining, drilling, threading, boring, turning and scrimshaw.

As Sedalia Dave said:

SIGHTS

All Firearms

- Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

- Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

- Rear and front sights may be “blacked” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

- All rear sights may have their openings adjusted.

- The front sight may be raised or lowered to bring point-of-aim and point-of-impact into alignment.

- The back of the front sight may be serrated.

Page 34

Or, “YES”...to answer your question, Caddo Kid ;)

I use Testors Gold model paint...the kind in a small bottle. Clean the front sight, I use masking tape to make sure no paint gets on the barrel. Then I use a toothpick with a small amount of paint and apply to the back of the sight. The gold shows up very well against any color background. I tried white, but some places paint the targets white. That doesn't work very well with a white front sight.

13 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

I use Testors Gold model paint...the kind in a small bottle. Clean the front sight, I use masking tape to make sure no paint gets on the barrel. Then I use a toothpick with a small amount of paint and apply to the back of the sight. The gold shows up very well against any color background. I tried white, but some places paint the targets white. That doesn't work very well with a white front sight.

Good Piont.

I use the Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers. Allows me to change the color at the range for the best contrast.

Have one Gold and one Silver. They are also available in white.

I tried white, black and brass colored paint on my stainless Vaqueros front sights. I blackened the rear sight. I ended up just dulling the finish on the front sight after removing the paint. 

Black blended in with the black targets.

Brass blended in with the background but looked okay on target.

White totally threw me off. It was almost as if my brain wouldn’t register it as the front sight. Weird.

Silver, the original color of the sights was what I ended up with but only after taking a jeweler’s file to them to dull the shiny finish, which was the reason I painted them in the first place. They were too shiny.

I also made the front sight of my main rifle silver by removing the already worn bluing in the front sight. I bought that rifle used. I do not like the sights it came with so I will be changing them.

The nice thing is, paint is cheap.

8 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

+1 Works great

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

As Sedalia Dave said:

SIGHTS

All Firearms

- Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

- Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

- Rear and front sights may be “blacked” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

- All rear sights may have their openings adjusted.

- The front sight may be raised or lowered to bring point-of-aim and point-of-impact into alignment.

- The back of the front sight may be serrated.

Page 34

Or, “YES”...to answer your question, Caddo Kid ;)

Though available during cowboy era brass bead front sight as used on target New Model Threes is considered not legal.  Bizarre.

Archived