SASS Wire Forum

pistol squid and possible recovery?

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

There seems to be some confusion here as to the difference between a squid and an octopus.

Octopuses (Yes, that is correct.   Octopus is not a Latin derived word, so its plural is not octopi.   Actually, it's Greek, so it could be octopedes, but octopuses is also acceptable.) have 8 tentacles that are all the same.  They are big blobs of flesh.   Squids on the other hand have 2 kinds of tentacles, (I forget how many exactly) and have that bony arrow shaped shell on their heads.

And now for something completely different...

Or, at least on topic.

Kinda

I was once shooting a match where one of my pistols was a S&W New Model 3.  I had, not some squiBs, but a coupla failures to fire of some old manufacture black powder cartridges.   I popped the gun open, ejecting everything, reloaded with fresh ammo and finished the stage.   Nobody objected and congratulated me for being cool under pressure.

11 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There seems to be some confusion here as to the difference between a squid and an octopus.

Octopuses (Yes, that is correct.   Octopus is not a Latin derived word, so its plural is not octopi.   Actually, it's Greek, so it could be octopedes, but octopuses is also acceptable.) have 8 tentacles that are all the same.  They are big blobs of flesh.   Squids on the other hand have 2 kinds of tentacles, (I forget how many exactly) and have that bony arrow shaped shell on their heads.

8 arms and 2 true tentacles. 

I've done it myself. I was using a Cimarron Richards conversion, an older one with the screw safety in the hammer. It backed out after one shot, and would no longer hit the firing pin. 

I called it, handed it off to my R.O., pulled my second pistol and fired it. I then unloaded and reloaded as needed from my gunbelt, and finished the stage. Time was not good, (it isn't anyway), but shot clean.

Side note; this was about fifteen years back when this happened. I recently ran into the R.O.  from that match, selling at a gun show. This incident came up in the ensuing conversion. He remembered it, but until I recounted it, neither of us recognized the other. 

Cheyenne's pistol squid would have all 8 arms on the grip and the 2 tentacles working the hammer. 

So what if you unload it before it's declared broke?  As in, the TO hollers SQUID! and you remove the cylinder to check?  Did you already get a DQ at that point?  Wouldn't be possible to do safely with a colt clone, but with a schoefield or a ruger it would be and a fella might do something like that on instinct. 

On 3/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I don't see any reason why not.  Very time consuming but also very doable.  I am however, really too lazy right now to go look up all the various "whys" and "what if's" in the rule books.  AS long as you don't have two loaded revolvers out of leather at the same time??  Understand though, while your doing all this, the Peanut Gallery will be jumping up ad down waving their arms and screaming atcha :)

That's okay CC- he's used to that... :lol:

Archived