SASS Wire Forum

Any o' ya'll familiar with NCOWS?

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I agree. Beside the Buffalo nickels he might have been wearing Calvin Klein underwear as well. Fortunately we'll never know... :ph34r:

Looking at their rules I find it interesting that the Miroku 1873 Winchesters are not allowed, yet the reproduction S&W Schofields with the frame-mounted firing pin are. (scratches head...)

Strange rules are not limited to NCOWS, there are a few in SASS that leave me scratching my head as well.

9 hours ago, Assassin said:

I go to shoot, not to reenact. We wear proper attire for SASS everyday in Wyoming. 

So do I living on a ranch.

But If you don’t like reenacting why not 3 gun? SASS has drawn their line in the sand too........ Because you cannot use yer 870 shotgun with wood furniture. Nor can you use yer modern 1911 with picatinny rail and night sights. Nor Glocks or ARs.....Probably guns that you would find common riding around in a pickup in rural Wyoming today. So SASS may not be as strict, but it’s still there.

Im not sayin NCOWS is perfect. But I highly respect what they are trying to do, and what they are doin ain’t easy. 

Love the history aspect. Shot NCOWS a few times. I don't shoot in jeans often and my getup passes in NCOWS. The Miruku thing tho. hmmmm

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Strange rules are not limited to NCOWS, there are a few in SASS that leave me scratching my head as well.

NCOWS claims the Miroku is short stroked. Or at least shorter stroked than the original.

2 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

So do I living on a ranch.

But If you don’t like reenacting why not 3 gun? SASS has drawn their line in the sand too........ Because you cannot use yer 870 shotgun with wood furniture. Nor can you use yer modern 1911 with picatinny rail and night sights. Nor Glocks or ARs.....Probably guns that you would find common riding around in a pickup in rural Wyoming today. So SASS may not be as strict, but it’s still there.

Im not sayin NCOWS is perfect. But I highly respect what they are trying to do, and what they are doin ain’t easy. 

Yep most West Texas cowboys. especially those closer to the Rio Grand are much more likely to be carrying a semi-automatic modern sporting rifle with a collapsible stock and quality optics than a lever gun and semi-automatic pistols have replace revolvers.

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

NCOWS claims the Miroku is short stroked. Or at least shorter stroked than the original.

That would make sense. When researching my recent purchase I was turned off by the fact that they had a shorter stroke, instead wanting something as close to the original as I could easily afford.

Personally I see more choices in Shooting Sports as a good thing. Something for everyone in other words. I'd love to try NCOWS just as I'd love to try Zoot Suit but, I need more time. As in 21 days each week with no extra work days. Sign me up for 3 Gun and Western 3 gun while you're at it. Maybe some IDPA on Tuesday evenings. That would make for a full week. Three more days for reloading and napping and all twould be quite peachy. ;)

38 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Pretty cool, but since when did TBF Avengers ever attack a Wehrmacht infantry column?

They were used in the Atlantic and Mediterranean, often as level or shallow dive bombers in addition to their anti-submarine duties. While I can't say for a fact any did attack German infantry, I suppose it is at least not beyond the realm of possibility.

Twenty seven TBF-1s took part in Operation Torch, operating with VGS-26 (USS Sangaman), VGS-27 (USS Sawannee) and VGS-29 (USS Santee). Many of the crews were very inexperienced, and the squadrons suffered heavy losses, but they did help to silence several heavy gun batteries and three aircraft from VGS-27 became the first Avengers to sink a submarine when they destroyed a Vichy French submarine.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_grumman_avenger_US.html

15 hours ago, HossMunny said:

The Germans ain't got nothin' to do with it!!!

Thanks for cleaning it up for TV, Sheriff Justice!

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

Thanks for cleaning it up for TV, Sheriff Justice!

Won't hear it from me!

On 3/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

The above video makes fun of the shooter because of how he chose to shoot the match. Yet I bet he had as much or more fun than anyone else at the match. I also bet he shot a clean match including hitting all the rifle targets with C&B pistols. 

I actually feel sorry for those that make fun of him for how he chose to shoot the match his way. Doesn't say much for the SASS cowboy way now does it. :(:(:(:(

Luckily, Dave, I can say with pretty darn good authority that the shooter came through unharmed . . and it was indeed a fun and clean stage.  The Walkers and 1860s - not so much! ;)

I got back into this game with NCOWS (JC Rangers), but have expanded to SASS again to maximize my shooting opportunities with my work schedule constraints.  I don't really care about being that fast (obviously - see above!), but just want to have a good time, burn some powder, and "play cowboy".  So far, I've had a great time with both types of clubs, have met some great people and developed some close friendships.  

Shameless plug: I'll often be filming at a CAS match and/or uploading western-shooting themed videos.  If you're into YouTube, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd consider subscribing.  You can search for Open Top Productions, and it should come up.    Until next time. . . 

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

THE 247th Fastest Gun in the West! 

Archived