SASS Wire Forum

1911 for WB and 3gun?

Juiceharp Jen

I have the opportunity today at a local gun show to purchase one of the (new in box) Colt reissues of the 1911 for $1,400 USD.  I'm guessing this one would be legal for WB.  I've never shot WB or 3gun, but I'd like to get a 1911 that would be suitable for both.  The Colt reissue has the old mil spec sights on it, and I'm told that those sights will be less than optimal for 3gun.  Are the mil spec sights required for WB?  Could I use a more modern 1911 in WB, with better sights?  Is there a good option for having just one 1911 or do I really need to get a different one for each type of competition?  Thanks.

The Colt 1911 replica would be the most authentic of all available 1911s for Wild Bunch, as it replicates the pistols made back then better than anything else on the market. However they were a limited run, and the values of like-new ones has been climbing substantially in the last couple of years. $1400 is actually a very good price as I've been seeing them for $1600 or more. So you might want to reconsider buying one just to beat up in matches. Another thing to consider is that they share the same vices as the early pistols as well... tiny sights, slick backstrap, nubby little grip safety spur and massive hammer that will cause hammer bite. They're a lot more fun to look at and admire than actually shoot, even though they do tend to be very intrinsically accurate.

I don't shoot Wild Bunch , it isn't offered anywhere near enough to be practical , but I have shot 3-gun. A  stock 1911 is way overmatched in that game. High capacity and soft recoil is the order there.  Different game , different toys.

Good luck , Rex :D

I went ack to the gun show and held a bunch of different 1911s.  I'd say the Ruger felt best in my hand and held the steadiest sight picture.  I was trying to find the rules for WB pistols and so far all I've seen is that they gave to chambered in .45 ACP.  Are there any other  restrictions, such as on sights?

Well Jen,

I trust Lumpy. However, I wasn't so sure about 1911s and my arthritic hands; but, I'm stubborn and wanted to try WB. (Shush Lumpy :o ;) ) Hubby gave me one of his 1911s and told me when I put 1000 rounds through it, I'd be ready for a match.

The seemingly unsurmountable problem of racking the slide worked itself out after that many rounds. I did change from a traditional sight to a modern sight to start hitting more targets.

Good luck!

Allie

Thanks Allie Mo.  I registered over at the WB forum and I will read the rules.  From what folks said on the WB forum, I would need separate 1911s for WB and 3gun because WB requires 45 ACP and any callibur but 9mm is a disadvantage in 3gun.  Also, it looks like my .357 rifle is not legal for WB, so I'm not sure if I will pursue it.  I can't start shooting again until summer, though, so I have a few months to think about it.  Thanks again.

Hi Jen,

At our local WB club, you can shoot .38 rifle at a monthly match in the Open category. I also know a shooter who only had a 9mm and that was okay too. We host the CA State WB match and you must shoot by the rule book at it. You might ask the local MD if alternate guns are allowed at monthly matches. Then, you will  know if you want to save for the legal guns.

BTW, the most complaints I've heard about WB rules are the .45 rifle requirement. Luckily, we had two as Hubby shot Classic Cowboy for a while.

Regards,

Allie

WB rifle has to be .45 cal ??  I was under the impression It was .40 or more , including 38-40 and all the .44 cals.

Actually , as I said before , doesn't matter to me , we don't have WB in this area anyway.

Jen , you are correct about the double-stack 9mm being the run-away choice in 3-gun. Anything else is at a disadvantage.

And that is only the beginning ; there is also the multi-tricked out AR , plus a high shell capacity shotgun. It can be a serious money pit.

As far as sights on WB 1911s , that will be part of what determines your shooting category ; Traditional or Modern. You can have adjustable sights in Modern.

Good luck , Rex :D

You're correct Rex, .40 or larger for WBAS rules. At our club level, we allow SASS legal lever rifles, any caliber. When we host the state match which is WBAS sanctioned, we follow the big bore rule.

Since its inception, some WB rules have changed. The biggest being acceptance of a Model 12 pump shotgun in addition to the '97, and 7 rounds allowed in the mag instead of just 5.

I agree with Lumpy about handling one first, especially since there's a minimum power factor that must be met (150). An example is a 200 gr bullet at 750 fps. Go here for other calculations.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/power-factor-calculator.html

Oakwood Outlaws, Texas Ten Horns and Comanche Valley Vigilantes all shoot Wild Bunch. Contact their match directors and attend a match. Many monthly matches include an open class for people to try Wild Bunch with semi auto pistols other than a 1911 and rifles in calibers smaller than .40.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:31 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Oakwood Outlaws, Texas Ten Horns and Comanche Valley Vigilantes all shoot Wild Bunch. Contact their match directors and attend a match. Many monthly matches include an open class for people to try Wild Bunch with semi auto pistols other than a 1911 and rifles in calibers smaller than .40.

I already have an XDS 45.  Would that likely be acceptable in open class at the local matches?

There's a specific category in 3gun for 45 ACP handguns.  Iron sights, 308 or heavier rifle, 12 gauge pump shotgun and 45 ACP semi.  Or low power or red dot optic for the Heavy Optic category.  The good side of this is you only have to put one round on target to score with the big boy guns.  All others have to have two on target or one in center mass.  

You can use the 1911 in any category, but as noted, the whiz bangers with hi cap soft shooting 9 mm rule that side of the game.  

Archived