SASS Wire Forum

to scoop or trickle?

Ok gurus, got a question. I use to reload back in the eighties, but put it on back burner when the kids came around. Been back into now for a short while and trying things that I read on the world wide web. (So must be true, right?) Anyway reminiscent of my first Lee loader, I made me a powder scoop out of a sawed-off 38 special case. Using 4.0 grains of powder as a basis. My first few leveled-off loads were 4.0 exactly, now it is fluctuating between 3.8 and 4.0. So how critical is a 0.2 grain deficit? Should I chunk my new scoop and just use a trickler?

Your comments are welcome...many tanks!  swn

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Shotgun Willie Nelson posting load data is against forum rules.

Sorry my mistake. Corrected, except for relevancy.

7 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

That difference scooped would be more about technique and consistency than anything.

You mean, like a loose nut on the end of my scoop?

Put a rubber band around the dish you are scooping from and use that as a leveling device for the powder in your scoop.

This works quite good and can get inserts for quick changes.  I have the stand as well, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere.  Only thing it does I don’t like is some leakage with small ball powders like TAC.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/762907/lee-deluxe-perfect-powder-measure?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)&utm_content=762907&cm_mmc=pf_ci_connexity-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Lee-_-762907

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

.02 gn is nut'n.

Volume vs weight, will change with each lot of powder.

Remember to shake the powder can up before you pour into the scoop pan.

OLG

+1

I keep my powder in a vented cabinet (used to be in a medical lab, don't know what they used it for)

sometimes the weight versus volume in a container will change just from having been opened once, regardless of how tight you put the cap back on.

(long story that happened once, now I double check then double check that)

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived