SASS Wire Forum

WTC for MSV

SHOOTIN FOX

came up this weekend.  I laid down my rifle with two rounds remaining. Got called back by the TO. Fired the two rounds and moved on to the pistols. 

WTC: I thnk I earned an MSV when I discarded the rifle. TO was under the impression I did not earn an MSV until the next firearmm is fired.

Handbook say I earned MSV by not being safe to leave my hand.

Any clarrification would help.

I believe that as long as no round was chambered, you have until the next arm is fired to clear/correct it.

Pocket RO card says: MSV

Empty or live round in magazine or carrier of the long gun in which it was loaded after the next firearm is fired, or if last firearm, put down on the unloading table.

Seems to me PWB explained this as a correctable penalty ..... like leaving a hull in SG.

Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Rifles
A rifle is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only:
- Empty.
- Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged
for further use).
A rifle is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage) in the following condition only:
- Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended round, action closed.
- Action open, round on carrier or in chamber.

It just seems the two documents do not agree. If you discard the rifle and it is not staged for further use, per the text above, It would not be safe to leave shooter’s hands. That is why I asked the question.

I know there was alot of discussion back and forth. I did not mean to argue, just asking for a clarification between the two references. Is it safe to leave the shooters hand or not.

28 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Seems to me PWB explained this as a correctable penalty ..... like leaving a hull in SG.

Long guns will be emptied and discarded with their barrels pointed safely downrange.  This condition may be corrected on the clock, prior to the next round being fired.

SHB p.16

WTC for MSV

Uh... let me think for a minute... ain't it just 10 seconds?  :P:D

Not that I did not believe you. There is conflicting wording in the handbook. I was just ask  for clarification and purpously did not mention any names.  There is an old saying, trust but verify. Its not who’s right , but what is right. No trust issues involved.

Archived