SASS Wire Forum

.45 CS on a Dillon 650...?'s

Carolina Gunslinger

Good Day,

If there is anyone who loads this on a 650 what combination of parts are you using? Specifically what's Colt and what's ACP on the press aside from the dies and shell plate which I have already figured out. I know very little about the 650 so far and I am considering just what it takes to work with this odd chambering in the case feeding department. Press is already set up for .45 ACP. 

Thanks,

CG 

18 minutes ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Press is already set up for .45 ACP

Howdy Gunslinger,

You could get by with just changing the shell carrier and the locators (includes the button pins and the feeder slide (station 1). Readjust your seater die if nec.

But;

It will run a bit smoother if you also change the sizing die to a 45colt and change the crimp die to an RCBS 18942 45acp roll crimp die.

1 hour ago, CodyMaverick said:

Howdy Gunslinger,

You could get by with just changing the shell carrier and the locators (includes the button pins and the feeder slide (station 1). Readjust your seater die if nec.

Hey Cody,

I'm set on the die setup. I was wondering what the case feeding setup was going to be like. I don't have to change the arm or the adapter or body to a .45 LC sized component? I'm going to run a casefeeder on the setup ideally.

I'm loading them on a 550B, but imagine the combination would work.

45 Colt shellplate

45ACP sizer decapper.

same powder bushing for both 45ACP & 45Colt

RCBS 45ACP seater/"rollcrimp" die.  

Edited:  Nevermind, I don't have a case-feeder.

You will not have to change anything on the case feeder to go to the 45 Colt, except maybe adjusting the spacer inside the case feed assembly, very easy to do, should work great

5 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Hey Cody,

I'm set on the die setup. I was wondering what the case feeding setup was going to be like. I don't have to change the arm or the adapter or body to a .45 LC sized component? I'm going to run a casefeeder on the setup ideally.

Yes I know, I wasn't paying proper attention to the OP... again :blush:

I am not sure I should be trying to help you with this anyway since I am betting you're the hair trigger that beat me out of a great deal on a lightly used 650. :huh:  Once again I am no match for your sheer speed!

Anyway,

You'll need to use the Yellow case feed adapter and bushing to accommodate the 45 Colt size rim.  It works okay as is but there is such a large gap between the bottom of the adapter and the top of the bushing, I found that the CS cases would frequently get cockeyed and not drop until I reached up and gave it a tap.  Being easily annoyed by this, here is how I solved the problem.  (I called Dillon first but they had no solution.)

I bought this bit of tubing from Amazon

IMG_1560.thumb.JPG.c834ab92a563a32ed3b2175beddc7e3f.JPG

I made a sleeve to go down inside the adapter, I used a pipe flaring tool to form the funnel:

IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.ccc2b38c11d5258ff2afbaeeb03672d3.JPG

The sleeve drops inside the adapter and stays in place via the funnel and case feeder drop tube.

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.c664f6725795bd4784079ff8b05748ee.JPG

I cut the sleeve off to the length I needed to keep the short cases from getting cockeyed.  Note: the first one I made was longer and worked great, when I started using Schofield cases it was too long so I made this one a little shorter and it works well enough for both.

IMG_1559.thumb.JPG.ba7cbc440c3a814192ff249bbc8d2904.JPG

Good luck! enjoy your new press :angry:

12 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

Yes I know, I wasn't paying proper attention to the OP... again :blush:

I am not sure I should be trying to help you with this anyway since I am betting you're the hair trigger that beat me out of a great deal on a lightly used 650. :huh:  Once again I am no match for your sheer speed!

Anyway,

You'll need to use the Yellow case feed adapter and bushing to accommodate the 45 Colt size rim.  It works okay as is but there is such a large gap between the bottom of the adapter and the top of the bushing, I found that the CS cases would frequently get cockeyed and not drop until I reached up and gave it a tap.  Being easily annoyed by this, here is how I solved the problem.  (I called Dillon first but they had no solution.)

I bought this bit of tubing from Amazon

IMG_1560.thumb.JPG.c834ab92a563a32ed3b2175beddc7e3f.JPG

I made a sleeve to go down inside the adapter, I used a pipe flaring tool to form the funnel:

The sleeve drops inside the adapter and stays in place via the funnel and case feeder drop tube.

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.c664f6725795bd4784079ff8b05748ee.JPG

I cut the sleeve off to the length I needed to keep the short cases from getting cockeyed.  Note: the first one I made was longer and worked great, when I started using Schofield cases it was too long so I made this one a little shorter and it works well enough for both.

IMG_1559.thumb.JPG.ba7cbc440c3a814192ff249bbc8d2904.JPG

Good luck! enjoy your new press :angry:

Actually I found this one elsewhere...Goodwill on Broadstreet. Lefty got the one in question...or that's what I heard. 

About that brass piece, any chance you could be convinced to replicate something like that? The cost of the tools involved make it prohibitive for me. I understand if you're mighty upset at Lefty though...

THAT is very nice, CM!    Thanks for sharing that with all us!  Even if I don't have a case feeder, I enjoyed seeing this!  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Be aware that the 45 ACP case is a taper case where the 45 Colt is not. Therefore the tapered C45S cases sized with a 45 ACP sizing die will be undersized at the mouth and can give you excessive blowback.  A friend had an orphan 45 Colt sizing die that I used to solve my problem.

45CS goes through the case feeder and loads just fine on a Hornady Lock n Load. :P......just sayin'.

I'm going to jump in here for some clarification.  I just picked up a Dillon 650 that is set p for .45 a.c.p., From what I've read here it seems that all you need to replace is the shell plate and the sizing/depriming die? Is that correct? Thanks.

Heaven only knows at this point. Everybody is so concerned with the dies and such that I forgot what I was asking about in the first place...the case feeding system...that was it. I'm curious about just what kinda hybrid convolution of parts I'd need to make it feed the cases properly. Turns out old Cody Maverick has the solution cold up there a few posts ago. Thanks for the interest and assistance.

13 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I'm going to jump in here for some clarification.  I just picked up a Dillon 650 that is set p for .45 a.c.p., From what I've read here it seems that all you need to replace is the shell plate and the sizing/depriming die? Is that correct? Thanks.

I'll send you a PM Maj Sterner, so this thread doesn't drift back to dies again. 

But, no, for best results with C45Spl you need a seater die that will work to give you a roll crimp on a short case. 

And I won't talk about case feeders at all!

Good luck, GJ

Archived