SASS Wire Forum

would this Hat be ok for cowboy shooting

Tricky Rich

ive shot matches with those of the steampunk persuasion , this is not that far off that mark if a proper pair of goggles are fitted , i really have no issue with it if you like it but repeat that heat would be the issue for me , i like my felt hat - even it gets hot at times , i dont do straw tho 

You know, SASS has never been and never will be all about "period correct". It CAN be, but doesn't have to be. SASS is a fantasy sport. 

If you want to wear a leather hat, go ahead. After all, Clint Eastwood wore one in "Two Mules for Sister Sara."

If you are simply embarrassed at the idea of being seen trying to look cowboy, I would recommend a trip to tractor supply.  They carry a low cost full brim felt hat that looks a bit more Farmer John than cowboy, due to a shorter brim and lower crown.  I used to wear cowboy for SASS but always wore my TS farm hat for winter months style points (about town)!  I still wear these regularly and if you wanna get one for free jist visit some of the local restaurants in this area.  It seems that in my advancing years I have a tendency to get up and leave my hats laying about all the local establishments!  

I like the Aussie style of hats but I am biased, my Bro in law lives there and gave me a nice Drizabone. It is my go to hat in real rain and cowboy shooting in the cold. The dark brown oilskin hat is quite hot on a muggy Northwet day so will probably convert my Laguna Seca or EAA straw hat to cowboy summer service. My local western wear store has a great variety of hats but I am almost always drawn to the stylish Aussie leather ones. It could be argued you're on the run from down under. Was watching "Robbery under Arms" this week, a Brit movie filmed down under in 1957 with David Mcallum (Man from UNCLE Ilya ) so was getting ideas.... Meanwhile I am still saving up for reloading gear so will work with the hats I have. IMHO I like your choice.B)

BTW I know most Aussie hats snap up on the left, but I always wanted it to be able to go up on the right for archery.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, Tricky Rich said:

That hat should be just fine, Rich, but on a hot muggy day you might not like it much. I could never pull off the leather hat look. I have a round face.

I have one very similar. I would not wear it for CAS but I play the Classic Cowboy game and have several hats for that. I have worn my Outback hat while Jeeping and camping in Colorado. And you know what? It is perfect for keeping my head warm whilst BSing and lounging in my distilled proclivities of an evening 'round the campfire.

I'd never begrude a man fer wearing any hat unless it looks like something Kanye West would wear.

as long as none of these negative nellies try shootin it off your head your OK - but as ive given my negatives as well as my approval ill say no more , enjoy the experience , we are all here to have fun ....i hope , 

Guest Grass Range #51406

Show up at a branding in that hat and someone will toss it under the herd when bunched and when you get it back no one would want to wear it again. This also happens if you show up with a new felt hat but this process gives it character

Archived