SASS Wire Forum

Hats

Dorado

I was given a couple of cowboy hats and they don't fit me. They're really pretty nice but just too small 6 3/4". I'd like to see about selling them but I don't know what they'd be worth.

One is a black Resistol 4x beaver George Straight edition? The other is a Quarter Horse wool felt silverbelly. Both are in great shape hardly ever worn and they've been stored in a hat box.

Any idea on what the value of these would be? I was told that the Resistol cost $400 when purchased.

I haven't bought a store hat in the last 10 years. I paid $275 for a custom made 10X beaver about 6 years ago. the price now would probably be about $375. I cant see a rResistol 4X being worth that much. I think if y'all got $175 give or take a little for the 4X hat and maybe $100 for the wool felt, you'd be doing ok.

But Im old fashioned, I remember when a 100X beaver hat from Stetson went for $100. Maybe in not so old fashioned as I am justplain old.

6 3/4 is pretty small. Try selling it to the ladies on the classifieds.

Just about every big shoot, state, regional and above has dealers with used hats for sale.  Since the hats were given to you, why not just try to swap with a dealer for something that suits you better?  Or maybe just put them in the classifieds for a swap?

In my experience, used hats depreciate significantly.  "Hardly ever worn" is still used.  I think you are more likely to be happy with a swap than a sale.

Seems about what I was thinking. These belonged to my grandfather. He liked hats so he bought them all the time. I didn't know if I could get anything for them. I'll see about getting some pictures and selling them in the classifieds. If that doesn't work then I'll trade them off for something I do want. I was just hoping I could get enough to cover my Christmas shopping.

2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Seems about what I was thinking. These belonged to my grandfather. He liked hats so he bought them all the time. I didn't know if I could get anything for them. I'll see about getting some pictures and selling them in the classifieds. If that doesn't work then I'll trade them off for something I do want. I was just hoping I could get enough to cover my Christmas shopping.

Family heirlooms are special!  Any kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews that might want them?

My Papa’s hats would not fit me, but I wish a had a few of them anyway.

Here's an off the wall thought for you: how close do these hats come to fitting you?  If you like them you can always take them to a hatter and have them resized.  I did that to one of mine.  Cost me $35 to have it resized.

Just a thought,

BS

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Family heirlooms are special!  Any kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews that might want them?

My Papa’s hats would not fit me, but I wish a had a few of them anyway.

He had dozens. These were not something special for him. We kept his guitars and lots of other things. These were just something crammed in the back of a storage unit. He gave some other family members his favorite hats. These are not heirlooms. 

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

Here's an off the wall thought for you: how close do these hats come to fitting you?  If you like them you can always take them to a hatter and have them resized.  I did that to one of mine.  Cost me $35 to have it resized.

Just a thought,

BS

I'd need half an inch or better. I don't think these have that in them. I don't have a place for them either. I have several hats myself. No one else wants them.

Usually a hat can only be stretched up one size, so from a 6 3/4 to a 6 7/8. That’s still pretty small even for my pinhead.

I don't know the value BUT, a reputable hat maker told me a couple years back that a real nice, high quality hat in the Southeast cost around $400-600.

The SAME hat down in Texas could cost $1200 and up.    He said it all had to do with the rich oil and ranch owners down in Texas like wearing the expensive hats and would pay more in order to have that 'expensive' hat.

Don't know if all thats true, but thats what I was told.

Good luck on your sale.

..........Widder

Archived