SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero + gunfighter grips

Kingair

They are thinner. Especially where your thumb contacts the grip.

I am willing to bet at least one shooter at any match you attend has them on their pistols. Ask nicely and see if they will let you try them for yourself. 

Best test I know of is to shoot a plate rack with your pistols about 5 passes and record the number of misses. Now shoot 5 passes with a pistol that has the grips you are interested it. Compare the scores. 

Try to shoot each pass no matter the gun the same way you would shoot during match. BTW this only works if both guns are the same make and barrel length.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They are thinner. Especially where your thumb contacts the grip.

I am willing to bet at least one shooter at any match you attend has them on their pistols. Ask nicely and see if they will let you try them for yourself. 

Best test I know of is to shoot a plate rack with your pistols about 5 passes and record the number of misses. Now shoot 5 passes with a pistol that has the grips you are interested it. Compare the scores. 

Try to shoot each pass no matter the gun the same way you would shoot during match. BTW this only works if both guns are the same make and barrel length.

No clue if one of the shooters here hd them - but I will ask for sure !

Great info you gave me

This CAS rookie learned something today - thanks !

Reason for the comparison is I bought a pair of Remington Outlaws. They came with the factory grips and a very plain but thin set of grips. Went to the range and shot each pistol 5 times with each hand (I shoot Double Duelist) and recorded the number of misses with not only each hand but which grips I was shooting.

While the thinner grips really didn't feel any better or worse than the factory grips I shot about 22% better with the thinner grips. Not saying the same will be true for everyone that is why I suggested you perform a similar test.

BTW I bought a new to me set of Rugers in .38/.357 with 5.5 inch barrels that came with the gunfighter grips. I shoot then better than my previous set of Rugers in .38/.357 that had 4.6 in barrels and factory grips. To be fair, the comparison is not exact as the barrels are different between the two guns but for me at least, I feel that the thinner grips help me shoot better.  

I think every little bit helps - especially for the mental game !

As you mentioned - going from 4 5/8  RNV with standard grips to 5.5 RNV with gunfigther grips - it improved your shooting apparently a lot 

Equipment makes difference for sure and if it gives you more confidence it's a win win game !

OP have you actually tried the stock New Model Vaquero plastic grips?  They are thin.  In some dimensions they are actually thinner than many "gunfighter" grips.  The "old" Vaquero grips were like 2 x 4s.  The New Model Vaquero grips are very thin to start with.  Before you invest $200.00 in two pair of grips try the stock ones.  You may find you will be better off investing the $200.00 in ammunition and practicing.

58 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

OP have you actually tried the stock New Model Vaquero plastic grips?  

Actually no 

I am just getting into CAS - I am a complete rookie  . . . 

Picking up my pair of 4 5/8 RNV SASS on Monday 

So perhaps I might like the original grips 

Gonna follow your advice - try the stock ones first

If I really don't like them . . .  another set of grips is quickly ordered !

Shoot your new Rugers at least 6 months before you start spending a lot of money on modifications. Just because a modification is popular doesn't necessarily meant that it will make YOU a better shooter. When you think you want to get a certain modification done. Try to shoot someone else's guns that have that modification for an entire match to see if it actually makes a difference. Once people get to know you the loaning of guns for an entire match is not all that uncommon.

6 months of dedicated practice at transitions will cut your stage times orders of magnitude more than any firearm modifications will. This does not include the modifications performed for reliability reasons. Remember you cannot shoot fast enough to make up the 5 seconds lost due to a miss.  

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

6 months of dedicated practice at transitions will cut your stage times orders of magnitude more than any firearm modifications will.

Remember you cannot shoot fast enough to make up the 5 seconds lost due to a miss.  

As you mentioned - transitions  !

Altimont makes the grips on the NMV's for Ruger and they sell what they call a thin panel on their website which is just their name for a gunfighter grip. You can buy a pair for less than $100. They will make almost any configuration on their site in thin panel if you ask. These are what I run.

3 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Altimont makes the grips on the NMV's for Ruger and they sell what they call a thin panel on their website which is just their name for a gunfighter grip. You can buy a pair for less than $100. They will make almost any configuration on their site in thin panel if you ask. These are what I run.

I just checked 

They have the :

Ruger New Vaquero Slim Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis for $ 38.00

Just now, Ventura Slim, SASS #35690 said:

I like the grips on the NMV, did change out springs.

Gonna try the stock grips

There is also 2 pairs of Altamonte Imitation stag included - look nice 

And 2 sets of Wolf springs

9 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

I ran these slim grips on my Ruger Old Armys and loved them.  I've transitioned to smokeless and 5.5 RNV. I immediately ordered a set of slims for them.  Used them one match and took them off. ?The original Ruger grips worked much better for me.

As always, obviously, your mileage may vary.

17 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

OP have you actually tried the stock New Model Vaquero plastic grips?  They are thin.  In some dimensions they are actually thinner than many "gunfighter" grips.  The "old" Vaquero grips were like 2 x 4s.  The New Model Vaquero grips are very thin to start with.  Before you invest $200.00 in two pair of grips try the stock ones.  You may find you will be better off investing the $200.00 in ammunition and practicing.

Know little about Rugers, but trying to learn a little as Sassy will be shooting a pair soon.  How do the SASS model NMV grips compare to standard NMV grips and to the thin (Gunfighter) grips referred to in this thread?

22 hours ago, Kingair said:

Any CAS shooters running these grip on the RNV please ?

I noticed there i even an Evil Roy version 

All info appreciated !

My wife:wub: has'em on hers, and she loves'em.

OLG

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Know little about Rugers, but trying to learn a little as Sassy will be shooting a pair soon.  How do the SASS model NMV grips compare to standard NMV grips and to the thin (Gunfighter) grips referred to in this thread?

IMO-The OEM Rugers has too much 'swell' at the bottom.

OLG

19 hours ago, Kingair said:

Actually no 

I am just getting into CAS - I am a complete rookie  . . . 

Picking up my pair of 4 5/8 RNV SASS on Monday 

So perhaps I might like the original grips 

Gonna follow your advice - try the stock ones first

If I really don't like them . . .  another set of grips is quickly ordered !

My wife has these in blue-Dang good gunz.

OLG

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IMO-The OEM Rugers has too much 'swell' at the bottom.

OLG

Are the OEM grips of regular NMV and SASS models same in dimensions, just different in material?  Swell and "thinness" the same?

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ours was the black checkered plastic. plastic.

The only diff I found was the location of the locating 'pin' hole in the grip.

OLG

Those with SASS logo on them? 

I am so used to shooting smooth micata grips on my revolvers (FAs) that the checkered grips are a new feel.  Not bad, and certainly advantage in rain (remember a Winter Range a few years back where shooting in the rain with my revolvers was a tad scary).  Sassy will soon have a pair of NMV (SASS model) revolvers when Boomstick finishes his work so I will certainly be giving them a try.  She being a relatively new shooter, the swell will take some time to be considered as plus/minus.  I'll be the "test guy" giving my personal thoughts.  Who knows I might get serious in Ruger market after all these years.

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Billy-No, OEM Ruger with the Ruger logo.

OLG

Mine are RNV SASS grips so they have the SASS logo

No clue if they are any different compared to a regular RNV . . .

14 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

These are the Altamont Ruger New Vaquero Slim Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis

Looks nice !

And $ 38.00 for a pair

k4Y1lzRl.png

Archived