SASS Wire Forum

Henry Single Shot rifles legal?

Goody, SASS #26190

I wonder if these Henry Single Shot Rifles have been approved as legal in SASS for Plainsmen and long range side matches? I have no reason to believe they would not be, have no problem with them being legal. I tried the search function and came up empty. Current chambering's include 45 Govt and 44 mag. The 45 would be legal in both, the 44 mag only Plainsmen I would assume. Thanks for your knowledge on this. By the way, has anyone shot these?

Weight

6.83 lbs.  45-70 = ouch

2 minutes ago, Red Cent said:
Weight

6.83 lbs.  45-70 = ouch

Maybe for long range. But some of the loads folks shoot in plainsmen are pretty soft. I'm talking 145gr round ball with a load pushing it maybe 700 FPS.

I still like my h&r handi rifle in 38-55 fiord plainsman I just got a 1874 sharps from pedisoli for long range.  I can't wait until Sunday when I get to shoot it. It's 45 government. With its weight I don't expect a heavy recoil.

I'm talking 145gr round ball with a load pushing it maybe 700 FPS.

that'll work

Or 200 gn cowboy bullets as cast with 2 coats of Alox at about 800. Plenty accurate enough out to 75-80 yds for plainsman.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I wonder if these Henry Single Shot Rifles have been approved as legal in SASS for Plainsmen and long range side matches? I have no reason to believe they would not be, have no problem with them being legal. I tried the search function and came up empty. Current chambering's include 45 Govt and 44 mag. The 45 would be legal in both, the 44 mag only Plainsmen I would assume. Thanks for your knowledge on this. By the way, has anyone shot these?

Does appear to be similar enough to the H&R that I wouldn't object to competing against it in either Plainsman or Long Range, but if it has an ejector, it should be in a "modern" Plainsman category, (if/when offered), like the other rifles so equipped.

Tho'... for arguments' sake, is the 44Mag, "a Traditional Black Powder Rifle or Revolver caliber cartridge"?

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

As much as the 38 special, 357 mag, etc. Shoot Russians if your worried.

Now Goody, you know the rules state the 38Spl is legal... does that mean the .357Mag is also?  Hmmm...?  

I have been thinking about one of these as well. I do wish there were a couple of other cartridge offerings but maybe if sales are good they will consider expanding the selections.

The brass receiver model in 45-70 looks pretty nice but as Red Cent mentioned the weight is a bit light.

They do have extractors, not ejectors. The locking lever can be moved either left or right to open the action. That is a pretty slick touch.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

According to their website, there is an interlock that prevents the action from closing when the rifle is cocked, unlike the Handi-rifle. When I shoot my H&R, I dump the empty and cock the hammer before loading.

The reason I asked is that IIRC the H&R is no longer being made, is that correct? As for firing sequence, cocking the hammer after closing would be negligibly slower than before closing, don't you think? And as has been mentioned, the opening of the action might be a little quicker in that it mimics our side by side SG's.

H&R no longer made, but there are tons of used ones out there. I cock with the action open, personal choice, Henry doesn't offer that option. You do what you find works best for you. I bought my 22" .45/70 Handi with ejector on the SASS Wire a couple of years ago for $240.

I had a H&R in 45-70, and was going to get accessory barrels before the program was discontinued.

Has a smith rebore and sleeve the 45-70 barrel to accept 44-40 rounds.  Worked out great.  Cost $125.

Henry doesn't have a custom shop, and no plans to chamber 44-40, so relining the barrel might be an option.

B Slim

To be clear. I was not asking because I want to purchase one, although I may. I have an H&R, maybe two. On the last few occasions that I shot a Plainsmen side match I used a 1878 Trapdoor rifle. I asked because I wanted to see if they had been voted on to be allowed as an alternative to the others that might not be so available in the near future. I do appreciate all of the comments and replies. It looks as though they may not have been brought up to the PTB, or perhaps they just have not seen this thread. I personally think they should be allowed, but that doesn't help the competitor that shows up at WR or EOT and is told they are not allowed.

Where exactly are SASS legal single shot rifles defined?

From the Plainsman Section of the SHB

Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. .38 Special is legal

I can find no definition of a SASS legal Single Shot rifle in the SHB except for the following statement under the BASIC RULES FOR THE LONG RANGE COMPETITIONS.

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST have exposed hammers.

Archived